PDA

View Full Version : Putting Applications on Local Disc

fuddled
06-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I think I followed the procedures suggested "DeskTop Drive Setup" storage guide correctly. However, I cannot get new apps to install in the Applications folder on the local drive with Users. Do I need to install new apps while booted from the backupRoot system which is on the same drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

rwm
06-02-2012, 08:04 PM
They should go to Apps.

Send some more info.

Computer, basic specs
What OSX version
Which applications
Installing what types net downloads, dmg's, Software Update

ricks
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Depends on what applications. Lately I have been hearing that some users are having trouble getting Lightroom to install anywhere except /Applications. I know Stuffit and Adobe Reader refuse to be anywhere except /Applications. WOuldn't surprise me if with Adobe running a background update application they decided the fix to the ills of looking for an application was just to insist it always be located at /Applications.

fuddled
06-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the fast replies.

MacPro 2010 4core OSX 10.6.8 RAM is 10gigs

4 bays with 3TB each.
Bay 1 disc has 2 partitions: upper is Root, lower is backup local
Bay 2 disc has 2 partitions: upper is local, lower is backupRoot

Root has folders for
Applications,
Library,
Local,
System
User Guides (symbolic link)
Information (symbolic link)
Users (symbolic link)

Local has folders for
Applications> + Root Applications (symbolic link)
Users

I was trying to install Digital Juice "Juicer 3.89"

I wanted to clear this up before attempting CS6.

Thanks, again!

fuddled
06-04-2012, 03:39 AM
I also just downloaded FCPX and that went straight to the Root's Application folder without any dialogue asking where I want it sent to.

ricks
06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Pretty much guaranteed that an Apple app will insist on going to /Applications. Although I did install Aperture in my Local Apps folder. Juicer isn't one I ever had a conversation about.

Main reason that an Application may insist on that is for automatic updates. Simpler for the developer is the app is always at the same location.

R