PDA

View Full Version : PhotoshopCS2 problem

marrand
01-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Upgraded to Snow Leopard. PhotoshopCS2 was working fine (except for the updater quitting every time).
Then installed MS Office 2011, and uninstalled it. Then installed AcrobatXPro, and uninstalled it. Used AppZapper.
Now PhotoshopCS2 is erratic. Often quits right after launching. Other times I can open a few pictures and work with them. Then just quits.

Seems I introduced a conflict by messing around with MSOfice2011 and/or AcrobatXPro, even though bulk of the files from each have been removed. DiskWarrior shows no problem.

Did anyone ever encounter something like this and knows of an easy fix? Short of reinstalling the Photoshop?
I have MacPro 8 core computer.
marrand.

ricks
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I think I would just go ahead and do the install right over the top. It doesn't take that long and I can remember doing that a couple times with CS2 getting florfed up.

Bet it fixes it.

R

marrand
01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Perhaps these posts should be under photoshop - I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I did you what you suggested and no go. Guess my computer is better than yours at florfing things up:)

Still quits, although now it stays on for longer time, and can even handle a few tiffs. Then substituted the new 9.0.0 version by 9.0.2 files from a separate backup (which never saw AcrobatXPro or MSOffice2011 and which works just great when booted) to the current one, where I did the reinstall, and things did improve.

I feel sure AcrobatXPro and/or MSOffice left something there(after zapping them) which conflicts. No longer sure. I keep using cocktail to clear user cache and rebuild the launching services.

So I will wait and see; I have seen things clear up after repeated cold starts (I shut my computers off at night).

Thanks.
marrand

ricks
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Next, delete Photoshop preferences from your Library.

R

marrand
01-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Which Library? There are three:
1. System/Library
2. Boot Drive/Library (preferences and application support?)
3. Home Library (preferences and application support?)

Thanks for advice. CS2 today worked long enough for me to print a few tiffs, then just quit. It now has a habit of launching, showing me a tiff or two, and then disappearing.

ricks
01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/AdobePhotoshop

marrand
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Rick,
I did what you told me. Rebooted. Photoshop worked great. Was ready to proclaim you a genius. Then after a few tiffs it quit. I repeated the process. Now it quits earlier or freezes. In sum, no difference.

First of all, I don't have the folder you mentioned:
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/AdobePhotoshop

Instead, I found and deleted the following prior to reboot:

Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/Adobe
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/Adobe ImageReady CS2 Settings
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS2 Paths
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings
Users/marrand/Library/Preferences/AdobeUM

And elsewhere, still inside preferences, I deleted the follow invidual files:
com.adobe.alm.adobelmbundle.plist
com.adobe.ARM.plist
com.adobe.aumclient.plist
com.Adobe.Common.plist
com.adobe.crashreporter.plist
com.adobe.CSX52Preferences.plist
com.adobe.ESD.AUM3App.plist
com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist
com.adobe.Photoshop.plist
com.Adobe.Premiere Pro.5.0.plist
com.adobe.SaveAsAdobePDF.5A3C712C-896F-5D33-8906- 153BO5A3A695.plist

Of course, I saved all of them on an external drive, just in case.

ricks
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I think next step that I woud try is two things - Download and apply a 10.6.8 Combo Updater. See if something is not quite right in the OS install.

Create a new test User and try that to see if the problem is in the User files.

Rick

marrand
01-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Rick,
Thanks for your time.
Regarding test User. I think I already had them made in december when I prepared FOUR duplicate sets of bootdrive/local combination, each with same files and each with same 10.6.8. I have been using your method of splitting OS and Users/Apps: two sets where they are on different hard drives, and two sets where they reside on different volumes of same HD.

One of each is inside my MacPro 8core. Another in FW Burly, ready to go any time. And fourth in their trays in the basement.

Then fooled around with MSOffice2011 and AcrobatXPro, install/uninstall. Prior to that the Photoshop CS2 worked fine, since I tested all four sets, especially with CS2. But after this fooling around, both inside the MacPro developed troubles.

But the one in external FW Burly is virgin - untouched by MSOffice or AcrobatX. When I boot from it, the Photoshop works perfect. So I have a User set which works, and two which don't. (Didn't test the fourth). Mind you, all started with the same apps and files and OS.

In all cases Snow Leopard was installed as 10.6.4 from DVD and then updated. Once on a freshly cleaned volume, updated later with files from the Leopard version, and then cloned to make duplicate. The other time installed over Leopard, and cloned that one also.

Today I took the entire user library from the good external set and replaced the one that's ailing. The entire Library. I had to adjust many things after that, but the photoshop still crashes after some use. It's as if MSOffice or AcrobatX got their tentacles in deeper than user's Library and preferences.

Ok, you say apply 10.6.8 Combo? Just install over the 10.6.8 I got now? No deletions? Never tried that trick before, but now is a good time to learn it.

But don't worry. I was thinking of buying CS5 for pure speed (no more Rosetta, no more crashing updater). I wrote only to be sure there isn't a simple neat trick to stabilize Photoshop.

ricks
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Always worth being frugal and trying to fix something. I am really tighter fisted these days than usual and seldom accept the pricy fix. Gotta think on your description here. All these flagship apps dump a lot of pieces in a lot of places on a computer. Worse yet, Adobe keeps adding funky security shit to make sure you don't install it on more than one of your computers, can't have that, don't cha know. CS5 is the worst that way. See if sleeping on this gives me any perspective.....

R

marrand
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Buying new Photoshop (CS5) is not meant to fix the current problem. I bought my CS2 something like ten years ago, got it real cheap, and it worked great in G4 dual, then in G5, and now in intel based MacPro.

But then I started editing/processing many more old family pictures, and started craving for more speed. Just an addiction, you know. And then got tired of the updater crashing every time, because I restart my apps at least once a day. So buying this new thingy was really meant to satisfy my craving for speed. Stopped liking the idea of Rosetta translations, and decided to get full use of my 8 cores.

That's why I bought the MSOffice2011 and AcrobatXPro (again, shopping for sales on each and waiting for lowest price) - just to have the application native. Mind you, Leopard was fast. Snow Leopard definetly faster, even with older apps.

So, now that CS2 failed (PS: now it quits even before I can launch one solitary tiff), I am beginning to think it's time to scratch my itch. Was curious about a quick fix, and also wanted to share my experience of multiple modern apps working at the same time.

If you don't get any insipiration, I think I will proceed to CS5, probably waiting till Presidents' day sales. (A few times I found a low price, called the company on phone, and managed to reduce it - of course, I had to promise to buy then and there, within 30 minutes or so).
marrand

marrand
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
After bothering you rick, I decided to look the subject of crashing CS2 on macs on internet. And found some interesting answers, which I copied in attached txt file.

In sum, adobe blames it on Rosetta, saying it is unstable in Snow Leopard. I am not sure I believe them.

ricks
01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know whether Adobe is on target or not. Also hard to say since they really stopped supporting CS2 long before Snow Leopard came out. I liked CS2, never had a problem. I usually skip 1 version - now running CS4. It has been pretty easy to use and flawless in compatibility. My only issue is all the auto updates and license checks that go on.

eric
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I liked CS2, never had a problem. I usually skip 1 version - now running CS4.

Adobe is changing / changed their upgrading policy (again). They caused a stink last year by saying that in order to qualify for an upgrade to the forthcoming CS6 you needed to be on CS5/5.5. (That was a change from upgrades available 3 versions back.).

They changed their mind on those draconian tactics, see here (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html). Special offer through 2012 for CS3 and CS4 owners once CS6 is released.

If you're on one of these older versions, might want to keep an eye out on the upgrade policy once CS6 comes out. Otherwise you might eventually get shut out of an upgrade path and have to pay for a full version.

I upgraded from CS3 to 5.5 last year with an eye towards Lion, which I never upgraded to. But 5.5 works well enough in Snow Leopard.

marrand
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for input rick and eric. Seems like time has come to buy CS5.
Somehow I do not think CS5.5 or CS6 will be any faster than CS5 using Snow Leopard and a good 8 core machine. Or am I wrong?

By the way rick, your recommendation of rackspace for new email is working just great!! Takes some time to change addresses from .mac to the new domain. I only hope rackspace doesn't go out of business. Are you using it too?

ricks
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
The deal with Rackspace is that when we first took over MacGurus we put our mail on the server that ran the store. We moved the store through a number of major hosting ISPs looking for one that could ACTUALLY handle our traffic instead of just tell us they could. We kept getting hung out to dry as these supposedly BIG hosting services could not handle the spam that was aimed at MacGurus.

MacGurus domain has been around since early 90's, I would guess that every spam list in the world had us listed. These ISPs would just turn off our mail when their server would bog down during a spam attack. Basically they kick us off, and since MacGurus runs on email it was killing our business. This happened with some pretty big outfits, they didn't have the technical knowhow to run things.

Originally the company we found, where the owner himself (Pat Mathews) took the time to state personally to me that he could handle our problem, was called Webmail. They were based outside of the gate at Virginia Tech. The owner was working with grad students designing algorithms to filter spam out, that was run originally as Excedent Technologies (http://www.webhosting.info/news/1/excedent-technologies-changes-official-name_0504054506.htm). He told us no problem, he could handle things easily. Sure enough, Webmail was flawless for us, resolving the spam attack death zone we were stuck in.

Several years ago Rackspace bought the mail hosting business from Webmail and we have been with them ever since.

I like Rackspace. Like anyone, they have problems once in a while, more so than Webmail did. But they do work hard to fix the issues and they do answer tech support requests.

Rackspace is big enough that I don't think they will disappear on us anytime soon. I would hate to run MacGurus without them.

Rick

marrand
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the enouraging notes about rackspace. Sounds like it will be better than .mac/.me service from apple. So far I am thrilled with them.

But now a real technical question about major applications, intel macs and operating systems. I am using your approach to separate on different hard drives or volumes:
1. OS and its built-in apps/library (boot drive)
2. Users/its own apps and its own library (local).
You instructions were perfect and years ago I set up my system and all back ups that way.

From the very beginning I encountered a puzzle: where do I keep the major applications like MS Office, Acrobat, Photoshoop. They insist on being installed on boot drive, yet you told me keep my apps on local. Simple man that I am, I installed on boot drive, copied to local, and deleted from boot drive. And it worked great! Had no problems for years.

Then updated to Snow Leopard. Again, no problem. Didn't matter whether major app like photoshop was residing on local or boot. And mind you, all required Rosetta translation. All was well in this world.

Then I installed MS Office2011 and AcrobatXPro, both intel native, and of course, on boot drive to start with. That's when the CS2 started failing. Matters not; I have to replace it because every combination and permutation (boot vs. local, prefs removed or app reintalled) showed same problem. Drives "contaminated" with Office2011 and/or AcrobatX destroyed CS2, while those still virgin handled it nicely.

Now I am about to get CS5. I will have to install it on boot drive. But the questions arise:
1. Should I leave it there (as if it was an OS app?)
2. Should I move it to local (as if it was MY app?) - and delete the original installation?

How are yours installed? Do other macgurus also separate OS from users? With Snow Leopard?
marrand

ricks
01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Wow,

CS4 installed in my Local Applications. Same with Dreamweaver CS5. I didn't copy them anywhere....

Not sure how, since when I just tried a reinstall, it didn't ask where to install to.

Rick

marrand
01-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I must be doing something wrong!!
With apps which require "drag this folder to your Applications folder", no problem at all in placing it on Local drive. Just checked: acrobat 7 and acrobat8 are that way, and so have been smaller apps like Turbotax.

But others tell you to click on the installer or install package, and promise to guide me through intallation process. This morning I tried MS Office2011, AcrobatXPro, and the old CS2.

Since the troubles with CS2 began, it is now sitting on the boot drive because that is where I reintalled it recently. When I try to intall again, the message says they will try to see if the software can be installed, and when I click continue, I get:
"Adobe Photohop CS2 can't be installed on this computer…because a previous installation of Photoshop CS2 was detected on your system. Please remove Photochop CS2 before intsalling again".
There is no folder to drag into Applications; only "Adobe Photoshop CS2.mpkg"

At least CS2 was polite. AcrobatXPro simply told me to start from its Installer.pkg, then said it will install it on my boot drive, and gave me no choice of Destination Select. Not even under customize; the step is listed, but intaller skipped it. I was given no choice at all.

MSOffice pretended to be polite. Said it will install on boot drive, but rejected all others in Destination Select, adding: "You can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OSX".

I don't mind doing all that, but am I missing something here? When you installed CS4, where you given any choice? Did the installer say where it was putting it?
marrand

ricks
01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I tend not to argue too strenuously with installers. Some applications do insist on being in root Applications - and I tend to allow that - example is Toast, and pretty much any M$ apps. I no longer have any M$ apps except Flip4Mac and Silverlight on my computer..

All my Adobe stuff is in the Local Applications folder. I did not copy any of them there. I would think that Adobe's licensing routines would cause fits just copying the application itself. Plus, not sure what differences there might be in your User Library. Inside Library/Applications/Adobe is quite a bit of stuff, I have no idea if those would have differences depending on where the install went to. Those same files also go into /Library/Application Support/Adobe. I'll bet there are differences.

I don't think you are doing something wrong. I don't know how Adobe chooses where to install its apps. On my computer, I am running the very same User Directory since OSX first came out. Photoshop has always been there. From appearances during the installation, the installer is going into the same place as previous versions went. I would guess that during the inspection phase the installers looks for copies of Photoshop and then matches the location.

marrand
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Ok rick, it all makes sense. I don't recall how the first photoshop was "born" on my computer, but it was later than yours. Perhaps it does look where first installed, and goes there. But anyway, I will just follow the intaller and won't move anything afterwards.

Of course, I will have to install again on my backups. No problem. But once I configure things to my liking, I don't like to do them again. In the past I used to play with files in the library, and so far all worked well. Until the very recent problem.

In any case, now please help me with these two questions:
1. I have nice set of actions for batch editing/processing, all worked out in my own detail, sitting nicely in CS2. Soon I will install CS5. How can I reproduce those actions? Or do I have to reconstruct them again, step by step? I know which file has them recorded, but will CS2 file work in CS5?

3. Once I configure everything to my satisfaction with a new app on my main boot drive, I copy the preference files from it to future installations on back up drives. Has worked so far without any problem. Should I expect new problems with CS5? I like the speed of the intels, but intel native apps so far have given me headaches.

2. Once a week my Little Snitch gives me warning that "SubmitDiagInfo" wants to connect to radarsubmissions.apple.com on TCP port 443. I have been clicking deny so far. What is this thing anyway? Should I allow?

Thanks.
marrand

ricks
01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
My installers, since WAY back, have all been updaters, not new. (I still have a box somewhere with about 15 floppies that were the install source for the first Photoshop I bought - PS3 maybe? I don't remember now) Photoshop has always installed right in the some location as the previous version since I went to OSX.

I have never tried CS5, so I don't know if your actions files will import - probably. Adobe is pretty good at that stuff. I still have some actions that I imported from the last upgrade.

Try this:

http://best-mac-tips.com/2011/06/30/stop-apple-submitdiaginfo-radar-submissions/

marrand
01-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Not fair - your installers have been updaters? No wonder you didn't have to move stuff around!!! Now things are clear. But what do you mean "import"? Copy/paste the simple way I have been using, or is there a secret button saying "import"? My photoshop installs have been rare, usually skipping 3 or 4 versions, and I don't recall them offering import suggestions.

And thanks for tip on automatic submissions to apple.

Amazing how much I have learned about my mac from these exchanges. Please don't go out of business!!
marrand

marrand
02-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Rick,
Just an update: installed CS5 and it's gorgeous!! Learned how to "import" my old CS2 actions without direct copy/paste of preferences. Also found AppZapper very handy to remove my CS2 and its files. Being native on intel 8 core mac, CS5 really runs fast. And the adobe installer did give me the choice of parking it on the Local instead of the boot drive. Using third HD for scratch and plenty of Macgurus RAM, I am ready to have a real good time now.

Another side note: thanks again for the rackspace recommendation. It's great, while .mac is seems to be falling apart. Now they no longer allow delection of aliases - one of mine got the attention of spammers and now they latched on to it. But matters not - this service will disappear from my computers in June anyway.

ricks
02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
I have some of the same issues with .Mac service. Sad thing is, my brother, who works for Apple, got everyone hooked on it years ago. My parents, nearing 90 years young, both use .Mac exclusively. I have always used it for essential stuff for the business that can get hammered should my regular email go down - like domain registration. But it's not going to be all that hard to get rid of with all the pain and angst that Apple is putting users through the last year.

You almost make me wanna get CS5 :p