PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Mac Mini....

biggles
12-29-2011, 01:16 PM
My old 2x2 G5 just can't keep up!

Oh, it's fine for what it was intended, running Pro Tools LE. I have low track counts.

But it's ham-stringing me now that applications are calling for an Intel chipset.

And the graphics are max'ed out. No way to upgrade.

So, I figure I'll get a Mini. Got the 23" display &c. &c.

Reckon I'll start the G5 in Target Disk Mode and just use it as a JBOD.

Any wise words?

Cheers!

Dave.

Damien
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Get it from Apple with a big ginourmous disc drive then add a Solid State boot drive later.

The reason being is that Apple HAS disc drives right now and out in the wild they are hard to find and expensive. (due to the Thailand floods) Solid State drives are still available to the general public

Also keep in mind you will probably need to add a firewire optical drive. Is the optical drive available in Target disk mode? if so you can use your G5 optical that way or just pull it out and stick it in a case.

biggles
12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
... Is the optical drive available in Target disk mode?...

I wondered about that! Figured probably not....

eric
01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
... Is the optical drive available in Target disk mode?...
I wondered about that! Figured probably not....

With the old PPC PATA G4s (DA and MDD), only on the master drive on 1 PATA chain shows up in target disk mode. The slave and the other chains just ain't there.

Not sure how a G5 would work, but I suspect something similar.

You could always use the G5 as a file server. For the occasional use of an optical drive, you can remote share the G5s to the mini.

As an alternative to the FW optical drive, Apple's thin aluminum USB superdrive (called the "MacBook Air SuperDrive" :D ) works with the 2011 minis, along with the MB Air. (Do a BTO of mini and it appears as an optional accessory.) But it apparently only works on those two Macs.

unclemac
01-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Slower, but you can borrow an optical drive from any Mac on your network too. Works nicely.

ricks
01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Slower, but you can borrow an optical drive from any Mac on your network too. Works nicely.

We do that here occasionally. Works just fine. Don't need it all that often, so no bother how fast it isn't.

eric
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM

I do that with my 2011 mini, although I probably wouldn't want to install say Adobe's Creative Suite or Final Cut Studio that way. :D

Actually, because of some of those slow (even with an actual drive) painful multi-disc installs, I've gotten into the habit of making disc images of the install CD/DVDs when I get them. I just archive them with the rest of the (usually downloaded) installers.

For multi-disc installs, you can just mount all the disc images at once and let the installer go -- CS and FCS run to the end without asking for the next disc. And reading off a HD is way faster; also faster finding it in my HD archive than it is trying to find the darn CD/DVDs -- even if those are stored together (in a big stack).