PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access my own folder

Anna
09-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Hello, I have a MacBook Pro 5,1 with a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB 1067 MHxDDR3 memory.

I want to copy my Pictures file via the wireless network (Airport) over to my G5 desktop which has two brand new drives. When I do so, I"m told I don't have access to Pictures.

And indeed, as you can see by the attached Screenshot #1, none of the access names displaying in the folder's Info match my MacBook Pro login account name in attached Screenshot #2. But when I try to add a new person to the folder permissions, it doesn't let me.

What gives? I'm desperate to back up my files!

rwm
09-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Can you boot to the install DVD? You can reset the password but that might not be your issue or problem. You might be able to copy somethings if booted to a Disk.

Damien
09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
In your user folder you have a folder called 'Public' put all the files you want transferred in there and then from the G5 login to your laptop and get the pics from the public folder

Anna
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Thank you--I tried the Public folder option but it doesn't work. I don't understand why it's telling me I don't have access to my own Pictures folder. When I look at the permissions for each subfolder, they all match b/c I applied Read/Write to all enclosed items.

unclemac
09-04-2011, 08:10 PM
The parent folder (the one that holds everything you are trying to interact with) is usually the culprit. Probably the user's home folder if you are trying to put stuff in the root of it: Documents, Desktop, etc.

Anna
09-05-2011, 05:16 AM
OK-- and from the screenshots of the user permission for the FROM folder and the TO folder, can you detect anything amiss? Thank you.

ricks
09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
As a work around you might just boot the G5 into Target Disk mode - hold the 'T' key down while booting. Then you can connect to the MBP with a simple Firewire cable and transfer the data as if the drives were mounted directly on the MBP.

Rick

Anna
09-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Intriguing. Thank you. I will try it and report back.

swamphox
11-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I have a 27" imac and I removed the drive for fear that it was failing and I am in the process of copying that main drive from the imac. Formerly attached to the imac was a Guardian Maximus external usb drive. This NAS was formatted to work with the imac. I am trying to access some files on this external drive and I get this error. "The folder "Guardian Maximus" can't be opened because you don't have pernission to see its contents." I have this drive connected to my MBP and I can not change sharing and permissions. It is set to custom and will not accept changes. How do I get access to my drive?

Thanks

rwm
11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Highlight it
Check under File - Get Info
See if it's locked or what your privileges say
You should be able to change it if this is the issue but seems to easy. never know.

Post any luck or even lack of luck with your recent USB transfer attempt.

swamphox
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
The USB transfer is going well. Only 26 hours left to complete. I was not able to change the permission in the get info box, not happening. I did find this little gem that worked.

run the following terminal commands (copy and paste, please)

sudo chflags 0 /volumes/*

sudo chmod a+rx /volumes/*

you'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see). that's normal. this should unlock your drives.

swamphox
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Nothing was working until I found this gem.

run the following terminal commands (copy and paste, please)

sudo chflags 0 /volumes/*

sudo chmod a+rx /volumes/*

you'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see). that's normal. this should unlock your drives.

rwm
11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
This forum has a wealth of info buried in it. :) It's just finding it. :rolleyes:

swamphox
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
The USB transfer is work great. Only 26 more hours until complete. It is roughly a TB. I go on the mac that night and I had about 50 little windows stacked on top of each other and I really did not pay any attention to them because of some problems I have having lately. I closed them all. Then I noticed that some of my desktop icons were just dotted line where the icons used to be. The they would appear as normal then they would revert back to the dotted lines. Then the machine stopped responding to any commands so I had to force it to shutdown. Trying to reboot all I got was the white screen and the spinning gear, tried a bunch of stuff and then gave up. I had to get the drive out before something else went wrong. Any ideas as to why this icon thing would happen?

ricks
11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Either a failing drive or one heck of a directory corruption.

unclemac
11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
If the drive is damaged or failing, I would recommend a folder at a time to do the transfer. Tedious, but no easy way to figure out what has transferred correctly if you do large blocks and get errors along the way.