PDA

View Full Version : iMac Upgrade?

yeungfeng
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
After spending some time with the spinning beach ball popping up on a fairly regular basis and Safari sputtering on web pages (just sits there pages don't load) I have to ask my self if I should upgrade the 24-inch iMac(MB420LL/A) 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I took MacWorld advice and filed away or dumped most everything on the desk top. Then had Safari do the exact same thing. Will have to wait and see about the spinning beach ball.

So I spot a iMac 27-inch 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 processor with a 256GB SSD. I hardly do any video so far, or much out side of iPhoto. Is this over kill? I've read that the new iMacs require a special HD firmware to work/boot. Are they that much better with graphics and will Thunderbolt bring me bliss?

Help Mr. Wizzard.

ricks
05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't know what is going to bring you bliss - but no machine is OVERKILL!!!! YOWEEE. .....

....sorry. I will calm myself.

Thunderbolt - is ok, it adds the 'pro' to the iMac. When you think on Thunderbolt, consider it a way to get PCIe expansion an iMac. So yeah, it will have an effect. You will be able to attach a SATA bus on the outside of an iMac. Or another monitor. Won't happen in a cost effective manner for quite a number of months yet. But that is what Thunderbolt is - PCIe combined with Display Port in one wire. MEans we will be able to plug PCIe devices into the end of a Thunderbolt cable, about like how we plug PCIe devices into a MacPro today.

Rick

MsNikon
05-25-2011, 10:24 AM
When you think on Thunderbolt, consider it a way to get PCIe expansion an iMac. So yeah, it will have an effect. You will be able to attach a SATA bus on the outside of an iMac. Or another monitor. Won't happen in a cost effective manner for quite a number of months yet. But that is what Thunderbolt is - PCIe combined with Display Port in one wire. MEans we will be able to plug PCIe devices into the end of a Thunderbolt cable, about like how we plug PCIe devices into a MacPro today.

Rick
Hi Rick,
Well...you just brought me this morning's bliss! I'll be looking to upgrade my current iMac in a year or so and have been wondering what Thunderbolt and an iMac (with SSD) could offer, vs going the full Mac Pro route. This sounds promising and I'll be asking all of you for advice when the time comes :)

Absolutely loving the Burly and no longer worrying about the safety of my files.

Ciao,
Ms Nikon

Damien
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
When you think on Thunderbolt, consider it a way to get PCIe expansion an iMac. So yeah, it will have an effect. You will be able to attach a SATA bus on the outside of an iMac. Or another monitor. Won't happen in a cost effective manner for quite a number of months yet. But that is what Thunderbolt is - PCIe combined with Display Port in one wire. MEans we will be able to plug PCIe devices into the end of a Thunderbolt cable, about like how we plug PCIe devices into a MacPro today.

Rick

Does this mean there will be a burly boxen that connects to the iMac with Thunderbolt and has actual PCIe slots inside...

nudgenudgewinkwinksaynomore!;)

ricks
05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I would bet that someone will make a Thunderbolt -> PCIe expansion chassis. Shouldn't even be all that difficult.

R

Damien
05-26-2011, 04:14 AM
Jump on that!

Otherwise OWCH Larry will and it will be a cheap POC

yeungfeng
05-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I guess my current view is that Thunderbolt is nice, but in thinking about getting iMac, it isn't high on my priorities. You can't get much for it right now and Apple doesn't support it as a boot drive.

eric
05-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Jump on that!

Otherwise OWCH Larry will and it will be a cheap POC

Sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com/news/nab2011/index.html) has the announcement, but not shipping, lead at the moment.

ricks
05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Sonnet is announcing their version of the same thing that LaCie announced - HIGH end Thunderbolt device with SSDs costing up a couple grand. Perfect for the high end crowd that will buy anything. Promise too, their announcement was for a RAID tower - said tower takes hard drive modules that Promise wants $650 a piece for, for a drive and a tray! Fat wallets are the only thing they are looking to market to.

Soon as we can we are looking for a reasonable and responsible way to attach lots of quality at a price that makes it useful.

R

MsNikon
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Soon as we can we are looking for a reasonable and responsible way to attach lots of quality at a price that makes it useful.

R

That's what I'll wait for: a MacGurus solution. No more of that "other" stuff that is overly costly and causes more trouble than it's worth.

Rick, you need a "Burly Rules" icon!!!:)

MsNikon