PDA

View Full Version : Xserve Speed Performance (RAM)

Disc2
12-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Can anyone can tell how much speed difference between and 8-core/dual 2.26 Nehalem with 3 GIGS OF RAM compared to an 8-core/dual 3.0 Harpertown with 32 GIGS or RAM?
I am not sure about any comparison or speed test, but anyone here can guess which is faster?
Thanks

rwm
12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Someone might have an idea. Not me on this. But what type of work or applications will it primarily be using as that could make some differences.

Disc2
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Someone might have an idea. Not me on this. But what type of work or applications will it primarily be using as that could make some differences.

Not sure about the difference. I do lots of photoshop work. Since apple will end the life of the xserve, unfortunately, i got a dual 3.0 Harpertown 1.5 years ago so no need to get a new xserve (really can't afford, I'm just dreaming!) So, the bare 8-core dual 2.66 nehalem is about $3,599.00 (apple store) and to upgrade my Harpertown existing ram to the max is about $929.99 (OWC). Still the question is the speed difference. Thanks

unclemac
12-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Tuff to say.

OS and apps will always be more speedy with more RAM......up to a a point. I would guess you would see good overall performance up to about 12GB or so. After that, really depends on the load.

CS5 is 64 bit, and can address more RAM, so perhaps more than about 12GB may be useful, but I couldn't say for sure. Older than CS5... I doubt you could tell much difference beyond about a dozen Gigs, perhaps less.

The newer CPUs crank through more work per clock cycles too, so don't underestimate CPU difference, RAM performance, memory controller, HD controller, etc.

Damien
12-20-2010, 08:18 AM
OWC ram does not have a good reputation. Admittedly my info is a few years out of date, but their reputation said they have poor quality control from whoever builds their house brand ram sticks... run hot, chips coming loose. Heat means errors/crashing. again maybe their problems are all in the past YMMV

I (of course) recommend MacGurus ram but if you would like a variety there is crucial.com and ramjet.com. All three have the best reputations.

Disc2
12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
OWC ram does not have a good reputation. Admittedly my info is a few years out of date, but their reputation said they have poor quality control from whoever builds their house brand ram sticks... run hot, chips coming loose. Heat means errors/crashing. again maybe their problems are all in the past YMMV

I (of course) recommend MacGurus ram but if you would like a variety there is crucial.com and ramjet.com. All three have the best reputations.

I checked Gurus ram first but cant find ram related to Xserves. I'll check again. Since there are so many names Ive read and seen eg. nehalem, woodcrest, harpertown etc. Got me really confused. Thanks

Damien
12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Rick can help you there. He can get any ram you like but doesn't list it all in the website.

ricks
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
XServes use the same RAM as the tower models. My apologies that we don't list the models, I am going to rectify that. If you can tell me which model XServe you have, I will certainly provide you with the appropriate memory for it. Piece of cake.

Rick

Disc2
12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
XServes use the same RAM as the tower models. My apologies that we don't list the models, I am going to rectify that. If you can tell me which model XServe you have, I will certainly provide you with the appropriate memory for it. Piece of cake.

Rick

Rick, I'll get back to this after the Holidays and check which exact model number. For now all I know its a dual 3.0 Harpertown early 2008.
Happy Holidays and a Great New Year to ALL.

ricks
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
PC6400, fifth ram down the Memory Page (http://www.macgurus.com/store/ecom-prodshow/mgram.html).

terrence003
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Can anyone Advice me How to test the speed of Xserve raid over fiber ???

ricks
12-29-2010, 11:03 PM
One of the easiest is to download AJA Kona Speed Test (http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJASystemTest.zip). Aim it at the RAID in question and let er rip. It will give you a number in MB/sec.

Rick

unclemac
12-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Another tool to back that up, or to double check AJA, is Helios LAN test. Works with locally attached and LAN (shared) volumes too. The interface is a little clunky, but worth spending a few minutes to figure out.

Very handy to test speeds to shared folders/servers.

Disc2
12-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I use the AJA Speed test if I need to know if I am within the speed to capture uncompressed HD into external drives but with ProRez the internal Xserve Raid is fast enough.
You can test the raid over fiber same by selecting the drive or volume but the aja has Video Frame Size and File Size selections, that you have to choose.

ricks
12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
N actual need to select frame size, the results are the same no matter what frame size is chosen. All frame size selection does is give you a baseline.

R