PDA

View Full Version : 2.66 current MacBook Pro running Parallels?

Brain
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, I don't get around the forum as much as Rick does. But wonder of all wonders Ricks sister called and asked me a question about running Parallels on a 2.66 current generation MacBook Pro so she can also run Windows and toggle back and forth while working some small graphics programs. I wasn't sure if the MBP had enough horsepower (resources) to run two OS's concurrently, and effectively. Figured I'd better ask. Anyone here doing it?

I know Bootcamp is a possibility but it means booting onto whichever OS she needs at the moment, which would be a pain in this case.

Another option is to run Fusion instead of Parallels. Anyone tried that on a MBP?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks as always,

Brian

unclemac
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh, that should run winders nice....if she has enough RAM. 4GB would be very helpful, 3 will work, and even 2 will do as a minimum if you only open the minimum apps in win and none in OS 10. There is as very nice free tool to virtualize with too......VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). Just as fast and solid maybe more so (so say many folks) as the commercial stuff, just not as many bells and whistles. I am currently running Fusion:

work machine -- 13" MBP 2.26, 4 GB, and both 7 and XP VMs
home machine -- 13" MB 2.1, 4 GB, Win 7 VM

Most folks seem to think that Parallels and VirtualBox are a bit faster too.

Anything that is 3D intensive (games, CAD, etc.) will run best in BootCamp. General computing runs very nicely in VMs.

Boot Camp is nice if you have to stretch RAM, only one OS at a time.

7 seems to run better in VMs than XP. Or maybe 7 runs better than XP everywhere, given adequate resources...

Nicolas
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello,

yep, VB (VirtualBox/SUN now Oracle) is working great. You can also use it as a sandbox for testing. AMD-V and Intel VT-x is also supported. The Mac Pros do have VT-x (since efi/FW 1.7f8) duno on the MacBook.

Regards

Nicolas