PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panel iMac hard disk help

katkutter
08-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi! My flat panel iMac seized up on me last fall (i know, i know!! but i'm just now able to steal a bit of time to work on it!!) Anyway, haha, I removed the drive and have purchased an IDE adapter in order to directly access the drive. I did not have a recent backup (again... i know, i know!!.) I'm afraid the drive is fried, but am hoping someone out there can give me some tips on accessing it.

The drive is a 40GB Seagate ST340810A. I am using an SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter. The power cable attaches to both the drive and the adapter. I can hear that the drive is powered up but I cannot locate it through normal means. I'm not big on mucking about in the terminal unless I have to, but wasn't sure there were any options that I hadn't thought of.

I do not intend to save this drive unless it is possible. I would really just like the data.

ricks
08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forums! Happy to pass a couple ideas.

First thing, Disk Utility is the proper tool to look at drives. No use for Terminal or any other application just to see if a drive is viewable.

Not sure if a USB bridge is the way to go or not, but since you have one we'll proceed with it. Make sure the drive is set to Master, or in some cases, some drives might have a 'Single without slave' jumper setting. Either setting is appropriate on a single drive bridge like your USB adapter.

If Disk Utility does not see the drive then it is not working well enough for anything to see the drive. Keep trying different setups and looking in Disk Utility first. Once you see the drive in Disk Utility you can try different things to mount it or recover the data off it.

Rick

katkutter
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey! Thanks for the response!

Actually Disk Utility is always the first tool I use. I figured that this disk might be fried when I couldn't find it there, but was hoping for a miracle!!

I'll try again but if I still come up empty I will just write it off as a dead duck.

Thanks!!

unclemac
08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Odds are this won't help you if DU won't see the HD....

But there is a free demo of Data Rescue (http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/) that you can try to see if it sees the HD. If it does, you can buy the software, if not, only wasted a bit of download time.

Be sure the jumper on the HD is set correctly as Rick mentioned. If not, the drive could be OK, and just not showing up because of the jumper config.

katkutter
08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for this extra info! I downloaded the demo - we'll see how that fares.

Have a great weekend! I'll update you as I get anywhere - or don't!

K.