PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop drive...what should I do?

xoshooter
07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Howdy,

Long time no post for me. Been a while and a number of macs as well. I have an older mbp 2.33 core 2 duo. I bought a 500gb sg to replace the internal and have the link to macfixit to replace it. I also have a thermaltake hard drive dock to do a superduper clone.

My question is multifold but hopefully easily answered. Besides zeroing the drive do I just use my superduper backup to restore everything to the new drive? If not what should I do and more specifically HOW should I do it? Do I install a fresh copy of osx? If so what exactly does fresh mean and the context of doing this?

I looked for a post about what to do but could not find anything as a how to. Nothing is really wrong with the drive installed currently but I want/need more space and just feel like I am borrowed time with this drive.

I wish I could get a new mac but business has been really slow and need to keep what I got and make it work.

Thanks so much...

unclemac
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Howdy -

OK, assuming you are comfortable within the physical install....you are mostly there. Here's what I recommend (assuming the you have not yanked the old drive yet):

1. Put the new drive in the drive dock. Boot normally to the internal HD, and format the new (now external) HD with Disk Utility.

2. Fire up SuperDuper, and do a complete copy (clone) from your internal drive you are booted to, to the new drive. SuperDuper (and many other cloning tools) can copy a system while booted to it, but close all other apps and don't use the machine during the process; let it chug away until it is done, or you risk errors and complications.

4. Once done, reboot, while hold down the option key, and select the new HD (you should see both) to boot to it.

5. If you boot successfully, your'e done. shut down and swap the drives carefully, and boot to the newly installed internal HD.

6. Keep your old drive as-is for a week or so to be sure everything is perfect on your newly installed drive. You can always access it in the drive dock.

Easy enough?

xoshooter
08-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Seemingly simple. Ran applejack a few times, repaired permissions, emptied trash, closed programs, ran superduper and had it auto boot from new drive which I am working from as we speak. I will crack open the case and replace later today. Will let you know how that goes. Thanks a lot!

Macaholic
08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Well said Uncle...

unclemac
08-23-2010, 11:14 PM
We aim to please. ;)