PDA

View Full Version : "Mail" - anyone had troubles?

billybobski
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Hello.

iMac, 10.4.11, 2Gig Intel duo core etc.

For the last week or two on Mail program, been getting 'offline' indicators day after day, (although iMac is most definitely still on-line, connected to the web). Often it goes away, and sometimes quitting Mail and restarting it can temporarily cure it.

But last day or two it's becoming very hard to kick the nasty little offline markers out - just wondered whether anyone else had similar problems, and if so how to get round it.

Is it worth trying a different mail program for 10.4.11, and if so, what's out there?

Thanks.

Allen, London.

ricks
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Try running the 10.4.11 Combo updater. See if Mail App has something corrupted.

Rick

unclemac
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Any chance it is your ISP or mail host? Might review and be sure it is configured per their recommendations.

If you can't shake it, most popular options are Entourage (assuming you are running MS Orifice), or Thunderbird.

rwm
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I got the same imac setup.... I have had some goofy issues. Not sure it's the same problem. When I am having problems unplugging my router seems to help.

billybobski
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks, fellows, I'll work through those ideas. Except for MS Orifice, of which I haven't heard! (My set up is 'straight': Mac OSX, Safari, Firefox, Mail, plus the usual standard programs).

The ISP line is always worth a go, as like most big companies, Virgin (who supply ours) are prone to change things 'to improve services'. Which of course they usually don't...

A.

rwm
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I forgot to mention ... I am running 10.6.4 but had had issues with different versions. I think problems was me and/ or my ISP not my software.

I would try Ricks idea first to rerun the 10.4.11 combo update for the Intel Mac you can find information and the download from Apple right here. (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL172)

billybobski
07-29-2010, 04:15 AM
I tried the 10.4.11 combo update but it didn't solve the Mail problem (probably not a bad thing to run it anyway).

Often our UK ISPs will 'fix' something that is great for PC users, but screws up Macs. We represent less than 10% of home computer users here, so tend to get ignored.

Anyway, I tried Thunderbird, and so far so good. Type is a bit small (the unchangeable stuff, not the messages), but apart from that, it's working well, so thanks!

Allen.

billybobski
08-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Well, here we are again.

Tried Thunderbird for a few days, got very fed up with it - all sorts of things that Mail does SO much better - and retried Mail. Which was fine. No off-line indicators, all worked as normal, no problems. So I switched back to Mail.

Until today! When it keeps quitting every 2 minutes.

I've been through the machine eliminating every Thunderbird trace, as far as I know, including Users/library/cache, and .../preferences, etc., and from back-up discs attached.

I've deleted all my mail accounts and started to re-establish them one at a time, but it still just quits.

ISP seems okay. It was on IMAP and POP, (Thunderbird working through IMAP for preference), so I've stuck to POP which always worked in the past for Mail. Still it quits.

In the good old days, I'd have dug out the Mail program disc and re-installed it, but as it's all in one with OSX, that becomes more difficult.

Any ideas for a clean re-install without reintalling the full works?

Thanks.

Allen.