PDA

View Full Version : G-4 tower wiped clean

feral
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi there,

I purchased a G-4 dual processor/tower from a school and they wiped the hard
drive clean. I am unable to get the drawer open to insert an operating system using the cd eject button. Any thoughts on how I can get the drawer open?

Thanx

rwm
07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
There are a few -- escaping me now. The paper clip trick

rwm
07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Take a look in some of these threads...
http://www.macgurus.com/forums/search.php?searchid=374329
or just search the Guru's site further. There is an answer

ricks
07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Start up and hold the mouse key down. It will open.

Rick

rwm
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks rick, brain fart here on top of a sore hip :D

feral
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks, I had forgotten about the mouse trick...but for some reason the
tower isn't reading the keyboard or mouse. Will it read these w/out the
system software being installed?

I ended up getting the drive open w/the paper clip trick....had used this on other macs in the past and could get it coaxed open enuf to hook and pull the rest of the way.

If it's not reading the keyboard how can I get it to boot from the disk? Do I need to bring it in somewhere?

Thanx again....

rwm
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Do you have a USB or FW drive around by chance? Another computer.

rwm
07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Try disconnecting the internal HD

feral
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Do you have a USB or FW drive around by chance? Another computer.

I have a LaCie cd burner and an HP laptop and might be able to talk a friend into letting me use a Macbook pro laptop....that's only a maybe on the last one.

feral
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Try disconnecting the internal HD

So, I dissconect everything, open the case and just disconnect and reconnect then try again? Thanks...

rwm
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Try leaving the HD unplugged and see if the computer will boot to the CD installer - as a trouble shooting attempt - it will hopefully be forced to recognize the CD installer. If it boots let us know

Are they the original CD or Black retail?

rwm
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Others might have ideas using the equipment you have.

Can you see if it will boot to another CD ... if you have one.

feral
07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Try leaving the HD unplugged and see if the computer will boot to the CD installer - as a trouble shooting attempt - it will hopefully be forced to recognize the CD installer. If it boots let us know

Are they the original CD or Black retail?

This is an off the shelf Mac OS X Jaguar from Apple that I purchased years ago.

rwm
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
So it is Black? Not a greenish grey?

rwm
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
If it's not reading the keyboard how can I get it to boot from the disk? Do I need to bring it in somewhere? Are you sure the keyboard works? Also check the USB port on the computer - it works right? Can you try another keyboard? Can you put the drive into another case or computer to see if it can be seen by DU then erase it again OSX Extended Journaled, try checking/verifying and even install an OS on it before putting back into your computer.

rwm
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I purchased a G-4 dual processor/tower from a school One of these G4's (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082?viewlocale=en_US) or a Dual QS like on this page. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25585?viewlocale=en_US)

What version of CD are you trying to boot to? 10.?.?

M.Brane
07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
If it's a late model G4 it might not boot from a 10.2 disk.

feral
07-17-2010, 09:56 AM
So it is Black? Not a greenish grey?

I thought you meant black market...oops! No it's not black in color, it looks kind of a creamy white w/a jaguar "colored" X in the center....version 10.2.3

feral
07-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Are you sure the keyboard works? Also check the USB port on the computer - it works right? Can you try another keyboard? Can you put the drive into another case or computer to see if it can be seen by DU then erase it again OSX Extended Journaled, try checking/verifying and even install an OS on it before putting back into your computer.

OK, I did run into some failure issues w/the monitor unexpectedly....the mouse is working, yes I'll try a different keyboard. I'll try unplugging the hard drive and the other trouble shooting tips as well and see if I can't chase down a newer operating system. I'll be back and let you know.

Thanks for all of your input.

feral
07-17-2010, 10:24 AM
One of these G4's (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082?viewlocale=en_US) or a Dual QS like on this page. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25585?viewlocale=en_US)

What version of CD are you trying to boot to? 10.?.?

The tower doesn't have the third firewire port, so it is the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors).

What version do I need to boot for the tower that I'm using?

Thanks

rwm
07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
An MDD will work with any 10.x "Black Retail CD/DVD" -- and that is Black in color usually with a big white X on it. - I did not mean the black market. lol

The greenish / grey disks can/are machine specific. If it was an MDD installer it should be fine. Say it was from another Mac like a PBook, iMac, an older tower it may not boot or install.

If I recall correctly the MDD was also the last Mac to boot up in OS 9. :D

feral
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
OK, I unplugged the hard drive and tried booting from a grey CD System 9.2 from the cube, and tried again both times holding down the "C" key while starting up. I bought a new keyboard (Macally) and it and the apple pro mouse both work on an HP laptop and should it seems work with the
MDD but the MDD just isn't reading them and the monitor is staying blank.....

feral
07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
If it's not reading the ports does this mean that the OS needs to be installed
through networking it to another computer?

Thanks

ricks
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Does the mouse light up? Wondering if USB is getting power.

If USB is getting power, then try an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

reset-nvram
Hit Return
set-defaults
Hit Reurn
reset-all
Hit Return and the computer will restart. See if it will start up to the CD by holding the 'C' key after this startup chime.

Rick

feral
07-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Does the mouse light up? Wondering if USB is getting power.

If USB is getting power, then try an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

reset-nvram
Hit Return
set-defaults
Hit Reurn
reset-all
Hit Return and the computer will restart. See if it will start up to the CD by holding the 'C' key after this startup chime.

Rick

I've got the mouse upside down so I can see if the light comes on......there is no sign of life on the underside in either usb port.

ricks
07-18-2010, 09:17 PM
The only reset you can do with a dead USB is press the SMU button on the motherboard. Other than that, you are in a tough spot with no controls. Hopefully the SMU reset reestablishes USB.

Rick

unclemac
07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
If that does not work, you may be looking at a USB PCI card as an option.

feral
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
So you're saying that the usb ports not working is not a result of the drive having no system software?

And networking this to another mac and dragging and dropping the install
disk is not possible, or that it is but will not help the usb situation?

About the usb pci card, do you carry and is this something I can install?

Thanx

ricks
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
No, what we are saying is that you are stuck unable to do anything at all if the USB ports do not work. You must have working USB to give the computer startup instruction.

The only reset you can try is the SMU reset, which is a button on the motherboard. If that does not get the USB to working then you will need to get a USB card. It has been so long since I had anyone need a USB card that I no longer carry any. Sonnet makes a good one you can find here:
http://store1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_37&products_id=126

Rick

feral
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll try resetting first and if no go order one of these.
I take it the reset button on the mother board is easily discernible?

rwm
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I take it the reset button on the mother board is easily discernible?
A small button near the battery.
This Google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MDD+Motherboard+diagram+SMU+reset&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=) has some good links.

...and dragging and dropping the install disk is not possible... An install can not be a drag and drop. You must install from a booted CD/DVD or via a networking environment.

unclemac
07-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Or here (http://macitdepartment.com/How_To/How_To/pmu_reset.html).

feral
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
So I took the tower in to the genius bar....powering up there are 5 blinks to
the power button, no chime, and 3 beeps. I know I didn't mention this before
because, well, I'm not a genius in these matters. He said it meant that the ram
wasn't happy or worse. He dug out some ram from the archived parts and
swapped it out but we got the same response. So he said that it's the terminals
that the ram plugs into. If I find someone that does repairs that include soldering, I might be able to get a decent price. Otherwise, the pricing would
be for modular repair which would entail a new motherboard. Drattss. Anyway,
thanks for all of your help! If I can find some one to do just the ram slots then I will, otherwise I will probably canibalize this tower and soup another one that I also have.

Thanks again....

rwm
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes, 3 beeps is RAM troubles. To bad there is more problem.

feral
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Or here (http://macitdepartment.com/How_To/How_To/pmu_reset.html).

My PMU button for that tower is in a slightly different location but I've bookmarked the links because they are all so informative. It was definitely the
PMU reset button because it was labeled for folks like me...:D

Anyway, I also put in a new battery and tried resetting again w/out luck.

ricks
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
If I remember correctly there was a RAM socket/wiring issue with the MDDs. My memory pretty much sucks on that, so we need to confirm it.

You might contact David Shipway at www.galaxyhp.com Not only would he know about any motherboard issues, he would also be the source for a repair or repaired motherboard.

R

feral
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
OK, I was reading some of the threads from the forum and noticed in one how
dirt/dust can interfere w/the ram. This tower was filthy inside so I got a couple of cans of canned air, removed the ram and cleaned everything then reinstalled.

Now the power button has stopped flashing and I don't hear the three beeps, I get the normal apple chime. The monitor lights up, the keyboard and mouse are functioning though I don't think that the internal CD drive is functioning or at least it doesn't seem to be. I hooked up the Lacie CD external and now depending on which key I press when I start up, I get the following results:

1. Options : Two separate squares w/arrows, one in a semi-circle and one pointing to the right.

2. "C" : One square shaped like a folder alternating between a question mark and little apple face.

3. Options + C: Same as #2

What should I try next?

Thanks!

feral
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Should also mention that I called the 800# and they thought I should be able to boot from the System CD that I have which is Jaguar 10.2.3

ricks
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Option key is Open Firmware, it looks for any attached bootable volume. When nothing shows up that means the LaCie is not working. Need to try some other way. If you have another Mac you can hook it up via Firewire, one Mac to the other, put your bootable CD in that other Mac, then boot the other Mac using the T key for Target Disk Mode. You then boot the G4 holding the OPtion key and see if it can see the other CD drive.

Rick

feral
07-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Option key is Open Firmware, it looks for any attached bootable volume. When nothing shows up that means the LaCie is not working. Need to try some other way. If you have another Mac you can hook it up via Firewire, one Mac to the other, put your bootable CD in that other Mac, then boot the other Mac using the T key for Target Disk Mode. You then boot the G4 holding the OPtion key and see if it can see the other CD drive.

Rick

Do I hook monitor and keyboard, mouse to other tower or keep it w/MDD?

rwm
07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Booting info
Firewire TDM or Target Disk Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661)

Firewire booting (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2699).

feral
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
OK, leaving Monitor etc. hooked to MDD, I booted the other tower holding down
the T on a second keyboard. Then booted the MDD holding down options key.
Now I'm getting a three squares:

semi-circle arrow

arrow pointing to the right

square w/picture of hard drive and mac face that is labeled underneath "Macintosh HD"

feral
07-23-2010, 11:42 AM
TDM is continuous 'hold' until the second tower is booted?

feral
07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Have floating firewire symbol on desktop. Other functional tower is telling me that there is damage to the hard drive and asking if I want Dr. Norton to fix it?

I hit the return button-didn't know what else to do. Good tower said it wasn't it's fault....would I like to turn file sharing off?

feral
07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
OK, I need to hook up monitor to host computor which means I need to locate
an adaptor that Apple store doesn't carry. Need to go from DVI to VGA on the
back of functional tower. I'll be back.

ricks
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
A computer booted into Target Disk Mode isn't really booted up, it is acting like a fancy Firewire drive. All drives connected to the computer booted into TDM show up on the other computer as if they were plain old firewire drives. All we are trying to do here is enable you to boot from something on the other computer, using it as an external drive.

Rick

unclemac
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
FYI: you don't have to have a monitor on the machine booted to TDM. Just hold T down until you hear the fans spinning, or to be sure, until it mounts on the host machine.....as long as you plugged in the FW cable before starting (recommended).

feral
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Just an update on the G_ MDD....It's up and running w/OS X installed. Can now operate as an independant unit. The Lacie is working but the software wasn't installed so the MDD wasn't reading it....now it is. The internal
DVD drive/burner is apparently dead and that appears to be the extent of
the damage for the MDD.....

Thanks so much for all the help, couldn't have done it w/out your help.