PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! My MacPro kicked the bucket

VTA
06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello,
I have a first generation MacPro 2.66; 5GB of RAM, running Tiger on one drive, Snow Leopard on another.

It had recently started acting up, pausing and becoming unresponsive for a few seconds then moving on. Which in turn grew progressively worse, very quickly. Some kernel panics and some odd artifacts showing up on the monitor, resulting in an unresponsive system and the spinning beach ball.

I have 4 drives in this monster, two with the above mentioned systems and two for storage. I tried any number of different configurations, with each hard drive and getting the same problem every time. I can no longer start up as it stalls before it gets to any kind of screen and I can't even get past the initial chime with the system CD.

Does any of this sound familiar and does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for any kind words.
-Vincent

rwm
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I myself went from a G4 to an Intel iMac so I never really messed in a G5 much. Read these 2 Apple documents. Try it. At this point it can't hurt.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

opps.... After thinking more.... if 2.66GHz is an Intel not a G5 :rolleyes: What computer exactly?

ricks
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I would pull all the drives, and pull down to the original RAM. Do an SMU reset. Then try and boot to the OSX installer DVD.

Rick

rwm
06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Rick said what I meant.. thanks rick, Sorry if my quick post confused you. ;)

Damien
06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I recently had an Intel mini that was showing ALL the signs of a dying hard drive.... Data gone, install failed, format failed, drive appearing and disappearing. After switching out the drive for a known good one the newer one showed all the same symptoms!! Also the system software install gave me a rather vague error that made me think the DVD drive was also failing which is when I got suspicious.... Turns out it was bad ram. Both hard drives are now testing good (7 pass security erase no issues on either) and no issues with the DVD drive either

Lesson learned... bad ram can make you think ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is failing.

VTA
06-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the answers.

I did the RAM swap thing and Hard Drive swap also and it still persisted until I pulled the video card. It seems the video card is the problem. I removed it, started up and was able to do some limited functions and shut down using the key shortcut with no problem.

My problem now is knowing what cards are compatible with my machine. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 is $550.00 and while I will pay if I have to, I'd like to check my options before forking that amount over.

Does anyone have any ideas what cards would be compatible with the first generation Mac Pros?
Thanks again.
-Vincent

sauria
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.macproonline.com/Mac-Pro-Tower/Mac-Pro-Tower-Parts/Mac-Pro-Tower-667Mhz/Geforce-8800-GT-512MB-p8426635.html

Cheaper than that and much faster too.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the answers.

I did the RAM swap thing and Hard Drive swap also and it still persisted until I pulled the video card. It seems the video card is the problem. I removed it, started up and was able to do some limited functions and shut down using the key shortcut with no problem.

My problem now is knowing what cards are compatible with my machine. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 is $550.00 and while I will pay if I have to, I'd like to check my options before forking that amount over.

Does anyone have any ideas what cards would be compatible with the first generation Mac Pros?
Thanks again.
-Vincent

VTA
07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.macproonline.com/Mac-Pro-Tower/Mac-Pro-Tower-Parts/Mac-Pro-Tower-667Mhz/Geforce-8800-GT-512MB-p8426635.html

Cheaper than that and much faster too.

Thanks sauria.
Tonight is the first time in 2 weeks I'm on my home machine. As a matter of fact, I did buy from MacPro online, only I bought the ATI X1900, instead. Just booted up and everything seems to be running fine.

rwm
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Let us know how it works. nice buy ;)

Greentree_uk
07-07-2010, 02:41 AM
7300GT can be fixed under a warranty extension program or you can replace the blown capacitor yourself,

sauria
07-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks sauria.
Tonight is the first time in 2 weeks I'm on my home machine. As a matter of fact, I did buy from MacPro online, only I bought the ATI X1900, instead. Just booted up and everything seems to be running fine.

Good news!

VTA
07-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Let us know how it works. nice buy ;)

Thanks. So far so good, I can't complain.

VTA
07-08-2010, 05:06 AM
7300GT can be fixed under a warranty extension program or you can replace the blown capacitor yourself,

I think the issue was the RAM. Before it completely dropped, I checked it out in system profiler and it showed up as having 0 RAM. I don't know anything about fixing video cards at his point, I can't even tell where the RAM is on it.