PDA

View Full Version : My Lexmark E320 out of ink... I think. A BW not color

rwm
06-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Last night my printer made a squeal noise when trying to print. After 1-2 attempts the low toner light came on and -- nada. I shut it off and today it seems fine. I have changed the toner cartridge once and should have more life in this one.

How can I check it? In my settings under the printer ink level - it never has displayed it to me. It's a E320 Black Ink, USB, Driver Version 1.4

ricks
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
If that is a inkjet then it will run out and stay run out.

If it is a laser, then pulling the toner cartridge and tapping it towards the port can get months more usage out of it.

Rick

rwm
06-16-2010, 06:24 PM
If it is a laser, then pulling the toner cartridge and tapping it towards the port can get months more usage out of it.
It was a Guru's advised purchase - a laser. Never regretted it and had it 6 or more years. I shook the cartridge it around -- just like working at the college and it seems good. ;)

Sounded as if the drum might not have been turning or turning with some effort and the "squeal" went away. I've never seem a laser go so fast so hopefully it will just be fine. :confused:

rwm
07-29-2010, 01:46 PM
My Lexmark E320 toner cartridge is acting up bad. When turning my printer on or sending a print job it makes a grinding gear type sound and then all the lights flash and sits ... with the no toner light on. I don't see any normal signs of low toner. Printing has looked fine.

I have pulled it out, cleaned things, turned things.... I got 1 page to print but seems dead now. I do not think the cartridge is turning.

Any thoughts...... a few one. Need to make sure.

unclemac
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Some Lasers have an auger screw to move the toner powder, some have a waste cartridge.....though usually bigger models. Anyway, could be the auger making that noise. Only way to know is replace the toner.

You might see if you can print out a config page, or get in through the web interface. Most lasers have s decent log of errors, and consumables status.

If your toner is nearly empty, no real harm in buying a new one.

OTOH, if the printer has another issue, and it is time to replace it, you could end up with a new toner and a dead printer. If you want to just replace it and not risk buying toner for a bad printer, I have had very good luck with the entry level Brother lasers. This (http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2140-Personal-Laser-Printer/dp/B0010Z1W06) if you just want USB, this (http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2170W-Printer-Wireless-Interfaces/dp/B0010Z3LGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280465310&sr=1-1) is you want it networked.

rwm
07-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Can't get a thing to print. I think I have my old cartridge around .... that should determine if it's the toner cartridge or printer.

rwm
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Well..... I tossed my old but working toner cartridge so no real way to test this. Hummmmmm

rwm
08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I think I'll look to a new USB Laser printer. If can be found sub 100 lower 100's. BW is all. Nice amazon link unc - it looks good.

Any comments or things to think about while looking. I do use my printer so this is a semi rushed decision or purchase.

Thanks. :)

Rethinking this the wireless network would be a nice option.

rwm
08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
The networking Brother looks good. The little researching I found it was a good price, had good reviews and should easily meet my need. I'll keep looking.

unclemac
08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Nope, pretty much a slam dunk. Whoever has a sale price.....that you trust not to send you junk.

Push the GO button. :)

Oh, I think you will need a USB cable; nothing fancy, should be the same as all other USB printers.

rwm
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
How sensitive is the wireless connections - one review said it's temperamental. Can other computers print to it easily? A PC? This would eliminates a 20' USB cord. I only have 4 megs of memory also if I remember. New is making more sense. - I think. ;)

I agree with the slam dunk and go idea :D .... just checking, thinking a few last things.

ricks
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Never used a Brother, but our Netowork Epson Workgroup printer has been perfect. It has wireless capability, but I have a ethernet cable at the printer location so I never tried the wireless connection. I just leave it wired, which seemed easier. As a networked printer it has been flawless. Most of todays printers, if they are Mac compatible, will be piece of cake on a PC as well. The Mac compatibility part is the harder part.

Rick

rwm
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I am seeing 2-3 samsungs in reviews. :confused: Know nufing but they are more money and more than I need.

cowboyonamac
08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I had a Brother® once. It was nothing but trouble for two years.

I bought it because I'd had two Brother electronic typewriters (in the pre-computer days) and they worked flawlessly. Apparently the level of quality did not carry over when they got into making printers.

I had a Lexmark from 2003 till last year. Big problem was the cartridges cost more than the printer (ink-jet) did. I could literally buy a new printer WITH cartridges for less than replacing a pair. The head finally went bad and I gleefully tossed it in the dumpster.

Now I've just got my HPs. As much as I hate HP for their PCs, I have to admit these printers have been really good as far as not going through cartridges fast, and they were easy to network between my MBPro and two PCs on my router.

rwm
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Well I just went with the Brother - not the wireless. I'll be happy. :dance:

had a Lexmark from 2003 till last year. Big problem was the cartridges cost more than the printer I love mine and agree... so newer, more memory, seems to be better spec's than my old... I'll see.;)

rwm
08-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Damn, I got back from out of town to find a note in my e-mail I hadn't updated my account on Amazon. I forgot all about my new card. Anyway I reordered it I should see it late next week. It will do the job I am sure and probably better than the Lexmark.

rwm
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
My brother just plugged the Brother printer ... instant print. Quicker, quieter... Looks good so far. Need to test and check for driver updates. :dance:

unclemac
08-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Good deal.

One of the nice things about Brothers is long standing Mac support, and built in drivers. One less thing to worry about.

rwm
08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Yep, a built in driver. I did update the driver at Apple's site with Brother's newer driver. Looks nicer too. :D