PDA

View Full Version : system preferences

mitcho
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Just got a QuadCore MacPro and am running OSX 10.6.2. I know there's an upgrade to 6.3 but as that caused the black screen of death I'm waiting for 6.4. However, 6.2, has a system preferences problem in that I can't get sound settings to survive a reboot. I prefer to set effects and output to Line Out because, being hard of hearing, I use a pair of phones on Line Out. I do also have USB Soundsticks which I use sometimes, but rarely. But every time I reboot the preferences revert to the Soundsticks output and I have to manually reset Sound settings back to Line Out. Not a big deal, but a pain. I've tried trashing the com.apple.systemprefeences.plist file but that did nothing. Any ideas?

unclemac
05-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Sounds like (......sorry, bad pun) you were in /Library/Preferences, yes?

Try looking in your home directory. ~ equals home in file paths, so: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist.

In previous OSes, there was also a byhost pref (byhost prefs are linked to the specific hardware through MAC address.....its a long story....)that also controlled some of the system sounds but I have not dug into 10.6. It would likely be: ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systempreferences.yadayadayada

The yadyadayada is going to be the unique MAC address of your machine. Try setting this (or any pref) aside....on the desktop or whatever.....and the system will generate a new default. If it does not solve your problem, you can always drop the previous one back in if you like. Or set prefs manually again.

mitcho
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
There is a ByHost preferences file in 10.6.2 and I removed four files such as you describe, then reset sound preferences and rebooted. Unfortunately the settings reverted back to what they were before I changed them prior to the reboot, so its back to square one.

unclemac
05-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Only things I can think of:

- Could be a generic pref somewhere we missed.

- Outside chance it is actually controlled via firmware, and you might need an SMC reset.

- It is in fact a bug, and you will need to wait for an update to fix

mitcho
05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
If it was a bug I'm sure we would have heard of if by now. I've posted the problem on the Apple lists but have gotten no traffic. Firmware seems a long shot. I suspect you're right about a lurking pref file.