PDA

View Full Version : Can't view some webpages

captainhirafu
04-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Not necessarily a mac problem...

I can't access 3 or 4 websites that I normally have no trouble accessing from my house.

I can access them on my macbook if i take it to the coffee shop.

I know all of the websites are hosted on the same server.

I have no problems accessing all other websites.

I only get the "connection time out" error page which doesn't actually tell me much.

I assume my IP address has been somehow blocked but I have no idea how to check if this is the case or how to fix it if this is the problem. If you have any idea, please help me.

Thank you!

ricks
04-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I have seen routers get corrupted and 'lock out' wide ranges of IP addresses. You should go through your entire connection chain and reset them. Even ask your ISP for help if it doesn't appear to be inside your house.

Rick

unclemac
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
You might also try different DNS numbers. When DNS does not work correctly, surfing goes bye-bye. Easy way to test is use different DNS servers.

Try OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/) numbers. Bottom right on the page. Yes, they sell stuff, but you can freely use their DNS servers, no questions, no catches.

If all your sites work, bad DNS. If they act the same, not a DNS issue.

captainhirafu
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Thank you for your quick replies and help. It turned out I had simply been blocked for too many password failures. Serves me right for being such a soft-headed fool.

Thanks again for your help!