PDA

View Full Version : Scratch disc: partition vs. separate drive

sanpanza
03-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I just bought a new quad core with two 1-TB drives for system/backup and two 2-TB drives for image library/backup.

I am wondering if I can create an effective scratch disc by partitioning a portion of my 2TB?

So the each 2TB drive would be partitioned 1.5TB/.5TB.

I am a still photographer using only still images on Photoshop and some mutli-media on Final Cut Pro and After Affects for out put to .MOV or MP4 files.

No video at the moment. I am also considering employing Mac Guru's system configuration of putting User folder on a separate disc.

Ed Carreon

rwm
03-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Sorry your post got stuck..... short answer is Yes -- Others who do this often should stop by or I'll help. ;) Use the slower partitions as backup... but not at the same time they are in use.

ricks
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
As Randy said, yes, you can partition a drive and use the faster outer partition for scratch. However, the inner partition should only be used for backup purposes or something that is not actively be used when you are using scratch.

Slowest part of a computer is the heads on the hard drive. Forcing them to move from partition to partition makes your computer wait on the heads all the time. As long as only one partition is in use the heads are not having to do all that movement.

Rick

sanpanza
03-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks Rick. Do I understand correctly that of my two internal library drives, one drive would be partitioned with backup only and scratch disc and the second library drive would be strictly the library drive. Is this correct.

How large should the partition for the scratch drive be?

Will this improve performance even if I do not opt to swap the default User Folder locations?

Ed

ricks
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't know how to answer that..... every user performs their photo editing differently. Different picture size, different processes, different choke points on performance. And most of all, different size database and how fast that database changes.

If I set up a smaller partition for scratch I make it around 100 GB for my own use. Plenty, (too big?) yet small enough not to be significant part of a drive.

Soon/eventually you will need to move data off the MacPro and into external storage. MacPros are really good at quiet, not so good at cool. The more hard drives inside, the more heat. Statistically you will lose more drives inside a MacPro than in a better cooled external enclosure.

Rick

rrische
04-05-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't know how to answer that..... every user performs their photo editing differently. Different picture size, different processes, different choke points on performance. And most of all, different size database and how fast that database changes.

If I set up a smaller partition for scratch I make it around 100 GB for my own use. Plenty, (too big?) yet small enough not to be significant part of a drive.

Soon/eventually you will need to move data off the MacPro and into external storage. MacPros are really good at quiet, not so good at cool. The more hard drives inside, the more heat. Statistically you will lose more drives inside a MacPro than in a better cooled external enclosure.

Rick

This, this and more this.

I have my internal HD bays full. My original boot drive (a WD raptor) lasted all of six months, IMO fried because of the heat.
I no longer run my MacPro with the side panel on. The heat buildup is deadly. Use caution.