PDA

View Full Version : eSATA card recommendations for a Powermac G5

dromanell
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a PCI-X eSATA card that would actually work in my early 2005 PowerMac G5 (2.7GHz dual processor) running 10.4.11?

I write "actually" because I recently purchased the LaCie 2 Port eSATA PCI Card (130823) and after a few days of working fine hooked up to a Calvary 1TB USB 2.0/eSATA external drive (CAXA3701T0), it started to shut down my entire workstation unexpectedly and repeatedly.

I ran disk diagnostic software, did hardware tests, and was ready to call the Apple Store for service when my wife tapped me on the shoulder and said "Um, maybe it's that card you put it." Smart girl.

After removing the card and rebooting, the system is running fine.

So...any recommendations? Could it be a voltage problem? I installed as per LaCie's specs (switching jumper cable positions on card) and it's just not behaving nicely.

Would love to keep using a drive with an eSATA hook-up to take advantage of the speed, instead of keeping it plugged into a lowly USB port.

Thanks!

rwm
02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Others will provide an answer. LaCie has a bad rap on this site as far as PCI cards like that go. :(

dromanell
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I did try the card in the other open slots and got the same results - unexpected shutdowns, then some weirdness where icons would look corrupt and menus would be unresponsive.

No info at the LaCie site and I'm still waiting for word from their Tech Support department. In doing some research, it seems LaCie cards are not recommended.

As mentioned in the original post, was wondering if it could be a voltage problem perhaps? That would fit in with the shutdown issue. I know only the Apple website forum (link below) it states:

"Your Macintosh has three expansion slots, labeled 2, 3, and 4, which can accommodate expansion cards up to 12 inches long. Depending upon the model of your Power Mac G5, you can install either PCI or PCI-X cards.

Maximum power consumption for all four expansion slots (the three PCI expansion cards and the AGP card) should not exceed 90 watts (W)."

Inside your Power Mac G5

Saw this online and after speaking with their sales support, I was "assured" it would work, but who knows:

http://www.satasite.com/esata-sata-ii-4-port-raid.htm

ricks
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
We only carry a couple of PCI-X cards, the best one being the Lycom 4X (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/lycesata4.php). It is also the cheaper of the bunch. Same chipset as the card as what we use in MacPro. Really fast and definitely compatible.

Rick

dromanell
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Will definitely need to take a close look at that card.

You know, this was posted by a member from another Mac forum, and I'm wondering if there's any truth in it. What do you think:

"Don't bother with eSATA on PowerMacs, especially if you were hoping for hotpluggable storage. OSX seems to have this pig-headed mentality that SATA = fixed drive, and I read a lot of dramas with SATA cards of all kinds under OSX, be the machine PowerPC or Intel based.

If you'd bought a USB+eSATA external drive because it was cheaper than a FireWire enclosure, only to spend more than the difference on a SATA card, then your head's screwed on sideways.

Sell the card, extract the drive from the Calvary enclosure and put it into a Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360UFS case (or something else nice that uses an Oxford chipset). Your Mac will love you. You can then pass on the gutted Calvary carcass to some poor PC user who still thinks eSATA is a good idea."

Thanks again!

ricks
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
External drive functionality is nearly perfect on Macs. Whoever said different is talking from a position of abject ignorance.

Hotswap is much better with eSATA than with Firewire.

I think you are reading the wrong places. The important consideration is usually WHO wrote the code for the card. Half baked PC developers who dump their junk on the Mac without any effort towards proper compatibility leads to lots of junk out there.

However, some generic stuff can be really good, such as the Lycom boards we buy - and test thoroughly, I might add. We make sure we know every detail on the cards and parts we carry. They will work as advertised.

Rick

unclemac
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I have not seen what that poster is complaining about, on any eSATA. In fact, I have seen more of that sort of wonkiness with USB, at least on older Macs.

dromanell
02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Hello again.

Took a look at the specs for the Lycom card. They seem very similar (if not identical) to those for this card:

http://www.satasite.com/esata-sata-ii-4-port-raid.htm

What are the differences between the two, exactly, outside of the price?

Thanks!!

ricks
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
How would anyone know? Might be identical, might not. Seen the card with several different firmware on them. Don't even have to go look at the other site to know I don't know.

lennypayne
09-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Ricks,

sorry for my not perfect english, but iīm from germany.
I visited the USA 4x (total 1 year), but last time was 25 years ago.

Two months ago i built up my old G5 and i just bought that LaCie-eSATA-Card. Now i must read here, that this card is crap and i should go for another eSATA-Card.
So far i did not try out the LaCie, because i just got the eSATA-Case yesterday and i still have to put a hdd in.

Because you are a Macguru, i follow your words and now iīm looking for another eSATA-Card.
So i searched for the lyceSATA in Germany and found it in some internet-shops. But they say, that it is only working in a windows-pc.

For example:
http://direkt.jacob-computer.de/lycom-pci-raid-ST-134E-artnr-397452.html?ref=25

What do you think? Should i just try it?
Is ist just a question of the right driver?

There is another card from another manufacturer, which looks identical:
http://www.amazon.de/Addonics-ADS3GX4R5-EM-eSATA-PCI-X-Controller/dp/B004CV3F4G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1348351062&sr=8-5

Thanks for your help already, the informations in this forum were a big help for me.
Patrick

ricks
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM
The Lycom card is just fine. and the Addonics card is a Lycom card with Addonics name on it. You can find Mac drivers and pretty much drivers for any operating system at Silicon Image at this link (http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=27&cat=3).

That is a perfect card as long as you run it on PCI-X Bus! DO not run an a PCI bus - which means do not install in a G4 Mac, or a G5 that only has 4 ram slots. The Silicon Image 3124 chipset will not work right on any plain PCI Mac. Works great on PCI-X Mac - which means a G5 with 8 ram slots.

If you have a PCI mac (G4 or G5 with 4 ram slots) then you want the Sonnet card.

BTW, your english is superb! ANd welome to MacGurus. Hang out here any time.

Rick

lennypayne
09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Ricks,

Thanks for your quick answer and your kindness :)

First of all: it's a G5 with 2x2,5 Ghz and PCi-X (8 RAM slots)
I also have a second G5 with 2x2 Ghz and PCI (4 RAM slots), which was not running correctly last time. But hopefully i can solve its problem, so i have another alternative.

Besides of that i have two eMacs (for my small private Internet-Café) and a 24" intel-iMac (2x2,8Ghz) for real work (Graphics, Video, little bit 3-D)
The rebuilding of the G5 is because to have alternatives, if work is getting more or if my iMac makes troubles (what i surely hope never will be the case).

Speaking now only for the faster G5, as long as i donīt know, if i get the slower one working.
First i got a ATI X850XT to change the 9600XT (128MB).
Then i bought more RAM. My goal is always maximum RAM.
Just not sure, if i should expand the 4 Gigs in my iMac to 6 GB. I still think, pairwise is better in this case.

Next was a 1 TB Samsung F3 as system volume. It is SATA 600 but it seems to work correctly so far.
For the 2nd bay i can choose between a 1,5 TB Samsung F2 Eco Green (SATA 300) or a 2 TB WesternDigital 20EARX (SATA 600).

The former owner of the G5 had a already a FW800 PCI-X card installed. And at last i purchased the LaCie eSATA-Card.
I was thinking about putting a second GraphicCard in the last PCI-X slot.
I still have a 9200 Mac-edition (128MB) in an 8600 Powermac which is not in use anymore.

But then i read in the G5-Specs, that all cards in AGP&PCI(-X) slots together may not use more than 90 W power at all.
Problem is, that it is almost impossible to find out, 'cause the manufacturers seem to keep these values as their secrets.
After long search i found informations, that the X850XT alone is already taking 72 W. If that's true there would be not much left. ATI 9200 takes about 15 W. But this is more a guess than really knowing.
All in all, with the X850XT i get too close to the 90 W limit

Also i heard, a 2nd GC in PCI-slots could slow down my whole system.
Third negative point: the fan of the X850XT would be at least half covered with another card if i use all 4 slots.
If this would be the only problem i could throw out the FW800-card, because i donīt have that much (exactly 2) external FW800-drives.

But i think of using an extern USB-graphic cards with HDMI output to connect to a third monitor, in this case a 40"-TV.
Do you have any experiences with G5 and these extern video-cards?

But more important than that is the right eSATA-card.
The sonnet card is too expensive for me.
Taking a closer look to the lycesata (ST-134E) at the Jacob-Shop i found out, that even on the lycom homepage the say, the ST-134E is a pci-card with eSATA 150.
But it looks exactly like the card you offer and exacty like the addonics card, which is eSATA 300 and PCI-X.
That PCI(-X) stuff is really confusing a little bit.
Nobody even really knows, if the LaCie-card is PCI or PCi-X.

Should be not the big problem for me, as long as i have PCI-X slots.
But it should be better eSATA 300 and (most important) run correctly.
If it has 4 connectors i donīt really need port multiplier possibilities.
(i am a one-man-office)

I already got me the driver you recommended using with the lycesata you sell. Should work on my G5s with any PCI(-X)/eSATA-card with Silikon Image Chip. Or is this a wrong guess?

I was now searching long time for PCI-X eSATA with 4 extern ports here in germany, but so far i cantīt find exactly your lyceSATA. Besides of the Addonics I only found these:

www.ebay.de/itm/Raidon-SC-SATA-II-X-PCI-X-Karte-4x-eSATA-3-GB-s-Anschluss-OVP-PC-Mac-/200822325367?

www.heise.de/preisvergleich/672446 (the same as above?)

www.heise.de/preisvergleich/202641

www.amazon.de/Dawicontrol-DC-4320-Retail-Controller-intern/dp/B000U3HLNG/ (hard to say?)

But now i found one, it looks like as if this might be your card, although there is no picture. It says only:
64-105 Lycom PCI-X Raid5 SATA II-Ext.4P, LP 56.40€
( http://business.lieske-elektronik.de/ersatzteilsuche.php?ItemNo=64-105I )
They have in not in stock, they say they can order it.

So first i might try to get that card on ebay for a good price.
If not, i can ask that lieske-elektronik, if they can order the card.
If it is he right one, but i think so.
In third case i grab the Addonics, if its still there then.

Do you think, that it's a good plan?

Thanks a lot!
Greetings from Bavaria,
Patrick

And sorry for that jungle of eSATA-cards and questions.

lennypayne
09-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Hi Ricks,

Thanks for your quick answer and your friendly welcome.

First of all:
It is a G5 with 8 GB RAM (PPC 7.3, 2 x 2,5 Ghz), so it must be PCI-X.

I found another seller in germany who sells the Lycom card, PCI-X version, eSATA300. But he has two different order numbers and prices:

www.business.lieske-elektronik.de/ersatzteilsuche.php?ItemNo=64-105M
www.business.lieske-elektronik.de/ersatzteilsuche.php?ItemNo=64-105I

There are no pictures, but i asked them already, whatīs the difference. Still waiting for their reply.
But this should be the card you sell, if it has 4 extern ports.

There is an auction at ebay germany running, but looking at the price now i donīt think it will get cheaper as the Addonics from the amzon-seller
But i think, this card looks good, too:

www.ebay.de/itm/Raidon-SC-SATA-II-X-PCI-X-Karte-4x-eSATA-3-GB-s-Anschluss-OVP-PC-Mac-/200822325367

Looks like this card, but has a different manufacturerīs name on it:

www.heise.de/preisvergleich/672446

Chipset is Sil 3124-2CB364, seems to be a silicon image chip. Is that right?

Thanks for your help!
Greetings from Bavaria and Oktoberfest,
Cheers,
Patrick

ricks
09-26-2012, 09:22 AM
If the card you are looking at links a driver, then you can tell from the driver which chipset. The SIlicon Image 3124 chipset is what is used on the PCI-X card. It is a SATAII chipset. That chipset is also used on PCIe card.

There are older SATAI chipsets - they should list a driver that is different from those on the 3124 page at SI.

That is why I gave you the link to the Silicon Image driver page for the 3124. Allows you to double check that the card is indeed the one you want.

Rick

lennypayne
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
This card at the "heise.preisvergleich" then has the right chip. The card at ebay looks the same, but i just asked the seller, if he knows, what chipset it has.

The problem with all the drivers on the lycom-site you linked for me, that there is no one for 10.5.8. The same with version 2.0.3
My system is 10.5.8.

Will i have problems with eSATA combined with 10.5.8 on a G5?
At least with certain devices?
Or is that just a problem for people, who had the card and the driver installed, before they updated to 10.5.2?

The cards from the first two links are sold out and wonīt be available in future.

Sorry for my slow synapses in this case :)
I donīt get enough sleep in the past few weeks.

Best regards,
Pat

ricks
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
2.0.3 is perfect for Tiger through Leopard (10.5 through 10.5.8). That will work fine.

If you get stuck we can mail you a card.

Rick

lennypayne
09-26-2012, 05:25 PM
I hope i donīt misunderstand. You want to say, that you still have these cards in stock and you may sell me one?
I was already thinking about this option, because 108 $ is about 86 €, so it is affordable and your card looks like the best. Itīs the original where all the other cards are more or less copies from, i think. I was not sure, if you still got some cards, because this thread is from 2010.

But shipping costs would be rather high. Let me see, if i get that card at ebay in 3 days, maybe we can come back to this.
I got the answer from its seller about the chipset in his card:

Silicon Image SteelVine Si I 3124 AC8HU QH4898.1-1 0636 AD03AX2

Sounds good, if i didnīt get you wrong. Still unsure, if understand everything 100 percent. But i think, this is a working chipset for my G5. Please correct me, if i made a mistake.

Thanks a lot anyway, best regards,
Patrick

ricks
09-26-2012, 05:48 PM
We keep those in stock. No problem. Using mail is pretty reasonable cost compared to other methods.

Rick

lennypayne
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
But you donīt seem to have paypal. And i never owned a credit dard in my whole life :-) Its too dangerous for me, because i always spend everything as soon as possible, if i have the possibility. Therefore i never had a minus at the bank.

So paying without credit card and without PayPal would be a little difficult.
Maybe i can find a friend with a credit card, but first i try to get that card from ebay. I think thats easier, the seller offers paypal-payments.

He just wrote me, that the card was running in his G4 without any driver installed.

Best regards,
Pat

ricks
09-27-2012, 11:55 AM
You're right.

Paypal has too many security lapses for us to use. If I remember right, eBay owns Paypal.

Rick

lennypayne
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Yep, it belongs to ebay.
Can be very useful, if i want to buy at ebay UK or USA, for example.
But can be i pain in the ass also.
The idea was great anyway, no matter if you like ebay/paypal or not.
Most normal people who use PayPal when selling their stuff, spend it right again in any online-shop who offers PayPal-payments.

You should probably think about a way to get tover these security laps.
Maybe with a second regular account just for paypal-uses. Or something like that. I donīt want to advertise paypal, but i really think its better for business to have it. If you say business is not so important then you are a happy guy. And wise, too.

The guy from the pcix-esata2-card (Raidon) wrote me again.
He sais, the SC drivers are all to be used careful and were made more for developers and less for end-users.
The raidon card should run without any driver, at least it did so in his G4 (867Mhz).
Is he right or did he just not get out every feature off the card?
The G4 also has PCI-slots. The card is made for PCI-X.

Best regards,
Patrick

lennypayne
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I got the Raidon card for 40 Euro (about 52 US-Dollar) plus shipping.
I will report you, if and how it works.

Cheers,
Patrick

rwm
09-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't believe you'll get full preformance. It's 64 bit the G4 32 bit Look at this Google (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=will%20a%20pci-x%20card%20work%20in%20a%20pci%20slot%20&pq=will%20a%20pci-x%20card%20work%20in%20a%20pci%20slot%20in%20mac&cp=39&gs_id=36&xhr=t&q=will%20a%20pci-x%20card%20work%20in%20a%20pci%20slot%20G4%20mac&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=will+a+pci-x+card+work+in+a+pci+slot+G4+mac&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3dc33a553c00e735&biw=1151&bih=913) .

Or just search-- will a pci-x card work in a pci slot in a G4 mac

lennypayne
10-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Hi rwm

Its not me with the G4.
I have a G5 with PCI-X xlots.
Anyway i donīt expect full eSATA performance, but it should be a little bit faster than FW800. And much faster than USB2 or FW400.
Big point is, that eSATA-enclosures are much cheaper and the choice of FW800 enclosures is very small.
I have an extern Pleiades-drive with all these interfaces, so i should be able to test differences in performance quite easy.

Best regards,
Patrick

ricks
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
You will get full speed - the bus is faster than the drives with that card.

Rick

rwm
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I misread that. Listen to Rick. ;)

lennypayne
10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
No problem, rwm.
You read too fast.
Sometimes i have the same problem.

So i better put the card in the 133Mhz slot. Its number 4, the top slot, i think.

What about my FW800 card? It is in that slot right now.

What if i use both cards at the same time? I assume, they slow down each other. At least, if there ist data traffic on both interfaces at the same time.
Better if i take out the FW800 card?

I will check that out.
Anyway i wanted to run some performance tests beginning with the LaCie-eSATA-card and the other interfaces on the G5. Comparing them will answer these questions, too. I hope.

Do you know, if the DriveGenius-benchtest is a useful tool for that job?

Best regards,
Patrick

ricks
10-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Either card will run fine at 100 MHz. I would probably put the much higher capability SATA card in the high speed slot.

R

lennypayne
10-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Rick and co.

I installed the new eSATA-card yesterday and tried it first time one hour ago, but it seems not to work without the driver.
So i have to install the driver first.

The LaCie eSATA150-card worked without the driver very well.
I have the benchmarks from that card compared to the FW800 bus.
I also tried the FW800 card that was in the second PCI-X slot. It was about 10% slower than the real FW800 bus, so i put that card out, makes no sense keeping it.

If you are interested:

Test-Drive Macpower Pleiades - 1TB

Sustained Read / Sustained Write /
Random Read / Random Write
(Max - Min - Avg)

FW800 :
50.53 - 28.92 - 47.84 / 40.00 - 13.55 - 37.04 /
50.53 - 12.55 - 39.02 / 40.85 - 17.76 - 35.78

LaCie eSATA150 PCI-X:
66.21 - 40.85 - 65.16 / 60.00 - 24.10 - 55.67 /
66.21 - 11.93 - 49.26 / 61.94 - 21.82 - 54.81

So even the LaCie card with SATA1 is already up to 50% faster than the internal FW800 bus of the G5.
If the Raidon card will work as exoected it must be even much faster.
So you were right and all the people telling the difference between FW800 and PCI-X/eSATA on G5 PPCs is too small are wrong.

I keep you informed about the new eSATAII card. So far it does not work without any driver as the LaCie card did.

Best regards,
Patrick

ricks
10-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Will never work without a driver.

Some chipsets the driver may be included in OSX. (and I have no idea whose card LaCie is selling, so can't tell you what chipset - LaCie doesn't make their own cards)

Don't really have a need to post performance. We sold that card for 10 years. The card is faster than the drives, so speeds you will see will be dependent on how fast and how full the drives are. All drives are slower than that SATAII card. Means what you are measuring is the speed of the drives.

Rick

lennypayne
10-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Rick.

So the speed of the drives is somewhere between the speed of SATA150 and SATA300?
I already heard, that SATA600 is only making sense with SSD-drives.
That means, normal HHDs with platters, which are sold as SATA600 drives are some kind of fake. Right?

ricks
10-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Speed of drives is pretty much always slower than SATA150. There are only a few new model drives that are faster than SATA150.

It also may be that in enclosures that have multiple ports, like mixed FW and eSATA, that the bridge would slow things.

Usually the slowest thing on an inexpensive case like the Lacie is the drive. No telling what quality or performance drive they will install in them without opening it up and looking.

lennypayne
10-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Inexpensive? The LaCie drives are rather expensive here in germany.

But anyway, the eSATA150 card is from LaCie, the tested drive is a Macpower Pleiades. I have a LaCie drive, too, but i heard, the Peiades is one of the fastest external enclosures.

So i will notice no speed difference with the eSATA300-card?

rwm
10-13-2012, 04:25 PM
So i will notice no speed difference with the eSATA300-card?
Nope it won't. like Rick said you need a faster hard drive.

ricks
10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
I can absolutely guarantee that the "Macpower Pleiades" is no faster than any other enclosure of its type. In fact, from what I can see they are rebranded enclosures from a manufacturer we use to build a couple of our smaller enclosures. In this case, marketing that leads one to believe there is anything faster about them is not to be believed. They are good enclosures, but they are just as dependent on what drive is installed and which bridge is inside them as any other enclosure.

I would bet that a SATAII chipset on the host card will probably not meen much by itself - that's a guess, since I have no idea the limitations of the Lacie card.

LaCie has become total crap as a manufacturer years ago. They used to make some nice stuff, 8 or more years ago. Now it is pretty much all made to be as cheap to manufacturer as possible. And they accept a high failure/warranty return rate as part of that process. Don't get me wrong, not attacking your choice. I see this from an insiders perspective. Quality control in design went out the window at Lacie a long time past. THis year Seagate bought them - I would guess that Lacie will get worse because of that. Large corporation don't do design ingenuity well. Lacie rocked when it was a little company with a staff of motivated people working there. Now that they are part of Seagate I expect to see same old same old junk with no hope of improvement.

lennypayne
10-14-2012, 11:53 AM
@rwm
Faster hard drive is only possible with a SSD-drive, i think.
I was thinking about buyin a smaller one (256GB) for the system. But stilll they are quite expensive.

@Rick
No problem, iīm not a special friend of LaCie products.
I had one with 80Gb bought about 7-8 years ago and it got "kaputt" (german word for not working anymore) last year.
The power supply was making weird noises and also the drive inside.
First i took a look, what they take for a new power supply. It is 30 Euro (!).
A no-go-price, for 30 Euro i can get a complete enclosure from another brand.
Taking the LaCie enclosure apart it was the first enclosure i had to damage to get out the hdd.

My newer LaCie extern HDD with 1TB is working well, but still iīm not a special friend of LaCie products.
Anyway, iīm not going for brands, i just like the Apple-stuff very much, because of the better systems and the better parts they mostly used to use to build their products.
The iMac (mine is a 24 inch from early 2008) is one of the greatest PCs ever made i think. But i also think i idonīt like the direction, apple is moving to at the moment. I dontīt like the new systems (Lion and Mountain Lion) and i am aware about the new iMac everybody is waiting for so long.
I hope it will still be apple, but i am afraid, they move further in the wrong (from my point of view) direction.

I bought some Apple shares when they were down at 25 Dollars, telling evberybody to do the same. Friend of mine made a lot of money selling last year. I adviced him to wait a little bit longer, but he needed the money for the original HotRod he builds up in his garage - heīs a big friend of old cars from the US, also a Rockabilly- He has also old Jukeboxes and Pinballs in his huge garage. All working. He repairs all that stuff by himself, sometimes buying rather expensive parts directly from the US. An original and rusty engine hood for the Hot Rod was 18.000 Euro, for example. Crazy!
I had not much money when buying apple shares, so for me it was more supporting my favorite brand and owning a little piece of it.

Macpower got sold also i think. All the little brands got swallowed by one of the big brands sooner or later. "Dog eat dog. Eat cat, too." (Ronald Belford Scott)

ricks
10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
One other issue for you to think on - no card that runs on a driver will be bootable. The card doesn't mount until the driver loads. I would not count on the new card to be bootable.

Rick

lennypayne
10-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi folks,

The Raidon card is working well with the 2.0.3 driver.
And it its still about 20-25 percent faster than the La Cie card with eSATA1
Almost twice as fast as FW800.

@Rick
No, i did not mention that issue. Too bad.
In fact i had the plan to put my backup system on a drive connected with eSATA.

The LaCie card works without a driver. Maybe i could boot from a hard disc drive connected to that card.
But i donīt think, both cards will work togehter, so i may have to decide between
a little slower and only 2 connectors but (eventually!) bootable
vs
not bootable, but little faster and 4 connectors.

Another important question about eSATA via PCI-X:
Is it possible to use eSATA-cables longer than 1 meter (= about 3,3 foot?) with no loss of performance and/or reliability?
Or should i just try out?

Best regards,
Pat

ricks
10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
You should be able to use both PCI cards together, no problem.

You can backup to a non bootable drive. However, when you want to boot to the backup you will have to attach it to a bootable bus. (inside your G5 or on a card that is bootable)
2 meter eSATA cables work just as well and just as fast as 1 meter eSATA cables.

Rick

lennypayne
10-20-2012, 10:42 AM
"You should be able to use both PCI cards together, no problem."

Great. So i keep the LaCie card and reinstall it right now.
And try out, if i can boot from that one. Still that ist not for 100% sure, i think.

"2 meter eSATA cables work just as well and just as fast as 1 meter eSATA cables."

You seem to (have) use(d) 2m eSATA cables by yourself :)
Thats good news for me, cause my external drives are all on a console-board screwed to the wall. I configurate my work-place always with homemade components.
Right now i have my iMac and all external drives on boards at the wall. Because of the vibrations on the floor, if someone is walking around.
The large hardware-desktop with monitors, keyboards and mice is just underneath this boards with no contact to it. So if iīm desperate again hammering with my fists on the table it has no effect to the hard drives. Important installation! At least for me.

If i had to use cables with maximal 3.3 ft length i had to put all the external drives with eSATA connection on top of the G5.
With longer cables i can leave them on the board at the wall.

My only drives with (indirect) connection to the floor are the two drives in the G5.
The G5 is too heavy and it would be too complicate to build and mount a board for this big machine. So i just put it on a lose board, which is well padded.
(I sometimes use words i had to look for in a dictionary before. "Padded" is one of these words, so i hope i got the right word for this case in the right form and understable grammatics. I mean pads between the flour and the board).
But still i try to move around slow and easy while one of the the G5-drives is working. Too much panic? We live in an old house with no floor pavement in most of the rooms. But i know, sometimes (ore often) i go to far with my (pre)caution...

supernova777
04-08-2015, 07:50 AM
hey macgurus

i have a powermac g5 1.8ghz from 2003.. that i occasionally liek to play with..
its alot faster after i put in a radeon 9800 graphics card!!

im looking for a card to take full advantage of an old ssd that i have that id like to use with my g5..

criteria im looking to fill:

pci-x (for max bandwidth)
sataII (for max bandwidth)
bootable in both 10.3.9, 10.4.11, & 10.5.8
if possible also compatible with powermac g3/g4 64bit slots

anyone know what id be looking for?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124026&cm_re=syba_SATA_pci-x-_-16-124-026-_-Product
i saw this product but it doesnt say that its bootable and seems to need tiger or higher

i also saw that the owner of this site had reccommended the X4P by sonnet.. but these cards do not have any internal sata ports..

is there any card that fits all the criteria ive outlined + features internal + external ports?
http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1ve2plus2/

this card would be perfect but apparently its only sataI spec (150mb/s)