PDA

View Full Version : Quark problem. (Unexpected...)

billybobski
02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Hello.

Quark Xpress problem. Digging out 3 files from a couple of years ago, can't open them. Getting "Unexpected end-of-file encountered." Tried putting them on different discs, picking up back-up versions from other sources, and all the same, i.e. same error message, and not opening.

Definitely same version of Quark - only me on this machine, and I haven't upgraded for nearly 3 years. (It's Passport 7.0).

Tried Textedit, as it opens most things, but not these 3 files.

Any ideas what WOULD open them, as once I've got the text back I can do things to them?

Thanks.

Allen, London.

rwm
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't know a thing about Quark. I don't see much about Quark on the forum. Someone must use it.

What computer and OS are you using?

billybobski
02-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Hello rwm.

iMac 2 Ghz Intel.

Over the years (20+) Quark does occasionally give trouble, but 99.9% of the time you can solve it by opening the doc, copying the contents to a new doc, and resaving. Only this time I can't open the things, hence the cry.

Allen.

Nicolas
02-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Hello Allen,

there's a tool called Markztools http://markzware.com/markztools/overview.php (http://markzware.com/markztools/store.php) (now available for version 7 and 8 only).
They do have a repair feature which works great in such cases also a Version converter so you can open higher version docs in a lower application version. Look on the internet for a tryout version and see if it would work for you.
Maybe you have to buy it to repair the docs :(
But worse the cost!

Regards

Nicolas

billybobski
02-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks Nicolas, I'll have a look at it.

Allen.

rwm
02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Highlight a "file in question" and on the menu bar... use File's pull down menu - select the "Get Info" and make sure it is set to be opened by Quark or another app that should open it.

billybobski
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
It was worth a try!

I tried half a dozen different 'possibles', but the closest I got was through Textedit, where it opened but showed an empty file.

Never mind, it was important, but not life threatening. The files must have been corrupted at the time of saving, as not only the first files are bad, but their back-ups (and THEIR back-ups) are bad, too.

Not sure of a way round it in the long term, except saving everything twice, and then making sure it opens before you delete one copy, and on and on. Drive you mad, so it would. I've even found some other docs saved on the same day 2 years ago, and they open fine!

Allen.

rwm
02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Bummer, :confused: Hopefully Nicolas or another might have another idea.

Nicolas
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Hello,

Markztools are not only able to repair a damaged file. When installed, they're checking a saved QXP-doc while and after saving it (when configured).

QXP sometimes wrote damaged files in every version it happens. Due to an I/O error or a doc failure. In older QXP versions this happens most shortly before a hard error (error 11) occur.

If the file-structur is damaged form a gone bad sector on the HD or something that way it is lost but, Markztools also were able to recover even such a heavy failure 2 times. I was using it since QXP 3.11 in the office and at least once a year it saved a document and alot of time and work.

If the file is empty in textedit it is completely corrupted most likely.

Regards

Nicolas

billybobski
02-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the information, Nicolas.

Luckily, I am no longer involved commercially (with Quark, or anything else, thankfully), so the loss of a couple of documents I can put down to bad luck.

If I were still commercially involved with Quark, I would buy Markztools tomorrow - I haven't been able to local a usable demo version on the web, only an upgrade from 7 to 8, and the program itself seems to be about $350+. Worth every penny, without a doubt, but not for my unimportant personal stuff.

Overall, I can say this: in 3 years of using the iMac, along with Quark 7.0, this is the first time I've come across an irretrievable loss of this sort, which I would suspect is a somewhat better record than many PC/Microsoft users could report.

On the bright side: I still have 99.999% of my data, and I also have MacGurus, without whom I would often be lost.

Best regards,

Allen.