PDA

View Full Version : PrintFab for PCs?

billybobski
02-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Anyone happen to know if there is a software RIP like PrintFab, but for PCs? On the PrintFab home page it shows products for Mac OSX and Linux, but no PC version.

Allen, London.

Nicolas
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello,

there was a Version of Turboprint for Windows but I don't know what happened to it no longer listed.

Regards

Nicolas

billybobski
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks Nicolas.

Yes, it does seem to be one of those areas where Mac users are better supplied than Microsoft, for a change.

I suspect it's something to do with Mac's historical lead in the graphics industry where colour output matters more than it does with most PC users.

Allen.

Nicolas
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Hello Allen,

PrintFab and also Turboprint is based on GIMP-Print (GutenPrint) and GhostScript which are based on Linux. So making it work in Windows is much more complex than porting it to OSX which is a *nixish system.

For Windows:
ColorBurst
Pjannto Software RIP
iProof Systems PowerRIP 2000
Colorbyte ImagePrint

PowerRip is the cheapest of those "Pro Level" RIP's and it works great on PC and Mac. As printserver for Mac and PC clients or as standalone.

Regards

Nicolas

billybobski
02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Again thanks, Nicolas.

I will pass those names on to the man who asked about PrintFab - he was interested in the higher level of control possible when outputting through PrintFab, so at least he has somewhere to start his researches.

Allen.