PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator will not load

david seay
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey guys,

I just spoke to one of your storage techs who pointed me to this forum in hopes of solving an Adobe Illustrator problem. What a great site this is fyi.

My issue is that Illustrator simply will not load. I get an error message halfway thru startup saying that Illustrator quit for unexpected reasons. I can hold down the shift key and launch it in some sort of minimal mode, but it doesn't have enough memory available to even open a new file.

What I've done so far: repaired disc permissions; reinstalled Adobe CS; manually uninstalled illustrator; ran disc warrior; deleted .plist file; cursed.

my machine: mac g5 dual 2gh; version 10.4.1; 2.5gb ram

I've been through every resource I could find on the web to no avail.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Dave

unclemac
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Howdy and welcome -

Quick test to see if it is something within your account (likely) or something global:

Create a new test user (Applications/System Preferences/Accounts) and see if it will launch and run fine there.

We can go from there depending on what you find.

david seay
01-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Howdy back at you and thanks for the help.

I created a new user acct and was unable to launch Illustrator from it. It's a real puzzler. I can normally troubleshoot these kinds of things, but this one is tough.

...and the mystery continues.

thanks
dave

Damien
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Was it installed by Adobe's installer or did you drag it from another drive?

Adobe is famous for NOT allowing you to drag their apps around

david seay
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I installed it from the disc using the adobe installer icon

ricks
01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
You know, what might be worth trying is reinstalling the Combo Updater for the OS revision you are running. A Combo replaces pretty much all the system files and can even overwrite the same OS revision as the Combo, IE: A 10.5.8 COmbo Updater can be run over the top of a 10.5.8 OS install. Maybe there is an Apple installed resource that is corrupted.

Rick

unclemac
01-27-2010, 12:43 AM
...and since it appears to be a global issue, you might look at the console logs just to see if the apps leaves some clues as to what is (or is not) happening.

Other CS apps working OK?

Doubt it will matter, but you might try starting it in Safe Boot mode to see if acts any differently.

Oh, and CS 3 apps have an uninstaller that will not uninstall everything, depending on which version. They have a cleaner script to run after uninstaller to get everything, so you can get a fresh, virgin install. CS 2 requires a long manual process. Good summary here (http://www.makemacwork.com/uninstall-adobe-creative-suite.htm).

Might review thoughts for general troubleshooting here (http://macitdepartment.com/How_To/How_To/troubleshooting_steps.html) (sound like you have this pretty well covered though).

almaink
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Did you try tossing the preference file? Also Illustrator needs the font Myriad to run, check to see that font is active. That being said I've used every version of Illustrator since version 6, and CS was IMO the worst one. So bad that I removed it from my production Macs, and reverted back to version 10, until CS2 came out.

david seay
01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
very good information you've given me. Some of which I have done already, some I will try. I might add that for the moment, I am stuck with OS x.4.1 because my machine is too old to accept the new AVID updates. I haven't ever seen Combo updater...I think that's what someone mentioned, but I'll try that if I can figure out how. It does seem like a system issue to me.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all your help.

dave

david seay
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Very good suggestions, particularly reinstalling the OS, which I did and it did nothing I'm sad to say. I think I may have to do a clean install, particularly since I am starting to see issues in other programs, mail in particular. Am I crazy? It doesn't seem like such a big deal, but I would think that would scrape off everything...good and bad and give me a clean plate.

dave

david seay
01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
clean install did the trick. it was a hassle, but it worked. Thanks again for all the good suggestions. I'll keep them in mind if and when I have another issue. I'll need some storage soon for my new edit system...hope to be in contact with you company about that.

dave