PDA

View Full Version : Power failure problem

alahag
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
WE currently have a number of mac's on a network.

When the power went our yesterday, 3 of our machines were running. After the failure, one of the three would not re boot.

It is a duo 1 ghz machine running Tiger. Before I give up and take it in for repair, I wonder if there are some things I can check or do.

The power on button when pressed lights up, but the machine does not start. nothing transmits to the monitor. I also tried the emergency restart button immediatly below the start up button. Still nothing.

I have heard that inside there is a reset button, but cannot remember where this is or how it works.

Any ideas???

Fred

rwm
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Which computer is dead now? Upgraded or stock 1 GHz of what flavor. :)

alahag
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
The computer that is down is the Duo 1ghz machine running Tiger.

The Imac running Leopard and the Duo 500Ghz are running fine. They had been on at the time, but restarted with no problem.

FRed

alahag
12-03-2009, 12:17 PM
This machine was purchased new and about the only upgrades were new OS and a hard disk upgrade. I think the memory was also upgraded. But these upgrades were done a couple of years ago.

ricks
12-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Press and hold the SMU reset button on the motherboard. A little 1/4 inch square 'can' on the board with an 1/8 inch round button in the middle. Button is usually right near the battery on the motherboard.

Try boot again.

alahag
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought that might be a thing to try.

I am not sure how long to hold it. But I will try this.

Fred

alahag
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
The machine is now up and running.....

This saved me over 90.00 charge for one hours time for a nothing.

Fred

Damien
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Below is a process that will resurrect a dead Mac from time to time. This voodoo has been floating around thanks to Greentree_UK who doesn't get here very often.

1 Remove all ram, unplug all drives, remove any PCI cards unplug all external devices, Remove pram battery, remove power cord

2 press power button, wait 5 sec press again (yes with all the above stuff out)

3 replace power cord

4 press cuda reset button on the motherboard if you have one, press power button (yes with all the above stuff out) note what kind of beeps you hear and how many.

5 replace ram and battery, connect internal drives, connect keyboard, mouse and monitor

6 power up

If you get a good boot up you can hot plug the external USB and firewire. Any PCI cards you need to replace you will have to shutdown for

Damien
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Glad to see it ... you posted while I was typing that other post