PDA

View Full Version : Looking for basic image editing software

Boyd 9
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Hello All,

I'm absolutely a beginner when it comes to image manipulation, so I don't need anything fancy.....

I'm looking for a basic image editor that will:

a) allow incremental rotation (i.e., not just the 'rotate 90 degrees variety)
b) will run under 10.4.11
c) will do circular crops (i.e., round crops, not just square).

I have a lot of images of record labels (i.e. from 45 and 78 rpm records), and I want to be able to do circular crops (because they look better, IMHO).

I did a google for 'Mac Image Editing Software,' but I'm not sure I want to download and bunch of trial versions of software before I know what I'm getting into.

I just tried ImageWell the other day, and it will do a) and b), but not c).

Any suggestions anyone might have, I would be most grateful. Oh, and did I mention that if possible I'd prefer not to have spend a fortune, if possible.

Again, my thanks

unclemac
11-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll start.

Photoshop Elements? If you can find an older version for 10.4. Back a few years ago, it even shipped in a light version with some scanners.

Probably a longer learning curve, but for free there is always Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/) too.

Nicolas
11-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Hello,

GIMP for Mac http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Best part it is free.

Regards

Nicolas

Hazkell
11-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I'd get on eBay and do a search for Mac/Abobe Photoshop Elements software.

I was somewhat "sick to my stomach" when I first used it ..... why? .... because I had just spent about S1000.00 the year before on the "flagship version" .... but soon discovered that about 90% of the apps .... where missing.

I think this would be right-up-your-alley .... if you can find an old version!
Hell, they were only selling for something $100.00 new, that was in 2002.

Keep searching you'll eventually find it .... but beware "PS is addicting!".

good luck, h

Boyd 9
11-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I appreciate the suggestions --

So, I took a look at GIMP -- uhm, yeah, the user interface is kind of awkward, but it does look like it has a lot of features, and hell, you can't beat free. That's for sure.:D

I easily found some older copies (circa vsn 6) of Photoshop Elements on ebay -- looks like it will run on my PPC 10.4.11 Mac just fine.

I had an O-L-D (i.e., OS 9 days) vsn of PSE, but I could never figure out how the durn thing worked (I found the user interface more than awkward, personally-- but that's just me). Still got it on my HD, but last time I tried to boot it up, I got some kind of error msg -- I guess it didn't want to run in the 'Classic Environment' -- and the same exact thing happened to my OS9 vsn of Pagemaker too -- guess I'm really dating myself here with all this antediluvian software, eh?

Anyway, in the meantime, I've found that Pixelmator will also do all the things I want/need, but that's $50 -- if I can get PSE vsn 6 for any less than that on ebay, it looks like I'm good to go.

As usual, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

graceann
12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes..Photoshop Elements has all the property you are looking for..Try surfing oline there are trial versions if you want. For sure you kinda like it.:)

Damien
12-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Graphic Converter may already be on your Mac. Check it out

cowboyonamac
12-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I use GIMP on my Linux box.
It took a little bit to get used to the UI but I like it. I'm still a hardcore Photoshop guy, but the more I play around with GIMP, the more I like it.