PDA

View Full Version : Question on DVD Burner

ricks
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

Have a customer who bought a Plextor DVD Burner from me for his G5. He now writes about a problem. Thought I would ask you guys what you thought.

I have been pretty happy with this drive for reading and writing DVDs, but I
have really had a lot of trouble with it reading DVDs that were recorded on
my Panasonic DVd recorder...it often will say it cannot read the BUP files
or some VOP files have bad sectors. Is this a problem with the DVD drive or
something else?

Any thoughts on what I can tell him? Thanks.

Rick

M.Brane
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't know all that much about DVDR, but I know media is sometimes an issue. Some drives tend to like certain brands/types more than others. I'd look into that first before getting into firmware or hardware.

almaink
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Could also be that the disks need to be closed on the Panasonic to work on the G5 DVDR. My home recorder is like that.

rwm
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Rick,

I rarely burn anything (a mp3 CD) never tried what this person is doing. First guess cleaning equipment/discs and check to see if one brand or type of media works any better than another?

eric
11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree with Randy, he might want to clean the laser on the DVD drive to see if it helps. The optical in my MBP was like that, it would have problems reading and then also writing DVD when the laser got dirty.

ricks
11-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I passed this on to the customer. Hopefully he will show up and post what he thinks would apply.

Over the years I have heard lots of comments from various people about not being cross compatible with DVDs burned on computers on recorders and vice versa. Never really paid that much attention. I don't spend much time burning DVDs.

Thank you all for your help. See if we get some interest.

Rick

Damien
11-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I vote for media. If he says memorex I'll scream!

Also is this panasonic an older machine? The older you get the finickier the burn.

I have had several Plex's and have never had a picky one about reading but back in the day all brands had their preferred brand of media for burning.

nzdarwin
11-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your ideas on the problems I asked Rick about. It does seem to maybe be a media problem. I noticed a few disks had un-readable VOB files or bad sectors on my Plextor drive, and then when I went to play them on my DVD player, yes...they had some bumps along the way, but the DVD player just skipped thru them...so they played with a little burp now and then. It seems that the Plextor drive was really sensitive to these bad sectors, and therefore kept giving me error messages or was unable to copy these to my computer for this reason. I have actually gone to the trouble to re-record a few movies thru my Panasonic DVD player with a new DVD disk, and then try to read it on my Plextor drive and they read just fine. So it does seem like it's the media. Lots of DVDs do tend to go with time, fungus can eat them alive. New Zealand is full of fungus. The objective here, by the way, is to load up all my DVDs of movies and put them onto my LaCie HD and then use a Media tank player (similar to a popcorn black box) to play on my plasma TV.

ricks
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Look forward to hearing how it works out. I'll bet you got it figured out.

Rick

kaye
11-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I use only Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R, 4.7GB for Single Layer, up to 16x speed (I normally burn at 4x but burning the disc is the least amount of time) either with their inkjet printable white or silver. Both work great, the white is easier to print on. I have one friend who has a Panasonic Player who cannot see photos beyond the first 99 of an individual slideshow. So I limit each of the sometimes many slideshows on a disc to 99 photos.

For my infrequent Double Layer burns, Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. k

cowboyonamac
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I once owned a Phillips VHS to DVD recorder and I used it to get rid of all my old VHS movies. It worked beautifully, but I have yet to find a computer that will play one of the discs all the way through.

Either they won't even start or if they do they get about ten minutes in and crash.

I've got five different computers around the house. All with DVD-RW-DL capable drives in them, and I get the same result with WinDVD, Mac DVD Player or VLC in either format.

I honestly think it's an issue with the burning drive.

I also hate that the Phillips burned all my VHS movies with "Ripguard" so I can't even rip them to AVI's for storage. I've had to go out and "re-buy" about 35 DVDs so far because of that.

Live and learn I guess

ricks
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
That ripguard feature would drive me nutso. I think I could do a lifetime without it.

R