PDA

View Full Version : transferring all data to new HD

briardguy
10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I bought a used G4 733 mhx with a 120gb HD running OS 10.5. I put the hard drive from my old G4 into the new machine to transfer data.

Problem : I got my old drive running but when I tried to copy folders of stuff on to the main drive, I kept getting a message saying I didn't have enough free space. There is 80gb of free space on the main drive and I'm trying to copy about 35gb of data. Any suggestions?

unclemac
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Tuff one.

Not seen that. You might inspect both drive in Disk Utility for clues. You might also try moving some data at a time, and watch your free space as you go, to see if you see anything odd.

If you really think some space is missing (sounds like no) you can use Omni DiskSweeper to see everything.

Damien
10-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Make sure you have set Master and slave properly. You can NOT use cable select on that model of Mac

Hazkell
10-31-2009, 12:31 AM
I would probable start my search with applejack (DEEP CLEAN tuned on!) .... then Disk Utilities!

Takes a few minutes to correct many, many problems .... it's like giving a shot of B12 to your hard drives .... maybe!

I have even ran these utilities two or three times in a row ..... some times VERY NECESSARY!

Sometimes after doing the above, I'll turn it off and wait a few minutes .... then back on.

EVERY SINGLE DAY, I start with running Applejack or DU FIRST!.... thats just me!

Can't say this will correct your problem .... but sure will put a smile on you drives.

h

briardguy
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
1) what do you do "every day" in disk utilities ? first aid / repair ???

2) I have not heard of applejack. What is it and where do i get it ?

thx

Greentree_uk
11-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I'd say it needs diskwarrior

Hazkell
11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Use the "Install Disk" to start-up .... don't install! .... at the top, under utilities .... scroll down to disk repair .... run " Repair Permissions"(all HDs) .... then "reboot".

I can't be 100% sure I gave the steps in the correct order, because I'm burning a DVD at the present and can't check my "install disk".

And/or

applejack 1.5 - "http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596" or "http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/".

I believe this is ONE of the BEST (freeware) disk repair services around!.

I have installed this on all HDs.

Applejack disk repair.... at start-up, hold the command and s buttons at the same time.
This is "single users" mode.

At the prompt, type ... "applejack, one free space, AUTO" (that's Deep Clean mode).... hit "return".

When things are really "good and foocked-up", I alternate back and forth between the two!

Last resort!.... reinstall from a "back-up".

Good luck!, h