PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to test whether the hard drive throughput is at its max?

zetoune
10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Is there any test I can do to check if my hard drive is at its max?
Most of time it's ok, but sometimes it's seems to be very slower!

For example:
It took up to 4 hours to format a 1 TB hard drive (one zero Fill method). Is it normal ?

It's a MacPro 2.8 early 2008.
Hard drive is a WD 1TB 32 MB cache.

ricks
10-16-2009, 10:15 AM
You can use something like the AJA Kona System Test (http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_System_Test_v601.zip) to speed test any drive.

Around here we all tend to buy the Speedtools.com benchtest utilities. We can test under different conditions that way. The free AJA test works though for a rough idea.

Rick

eric
10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
It took up to 4 hours to format a 1 TB hard drive (one zero Fill method). Is it normal ?It took over 5 hours to zero a 5400 rpm 1.5 TB (via eSATA approx. 100+MB/sec R/W), so I suspect that's normal. :D

ricks
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately there are ALWAYS other factors when speed testing. What else the computer is doing, where the choke points are on the bus and so on.

Any time you make a speed test you must make it a COMPARISON to another as near identical piece of equipment under as near identical circumstances for the result to be of use to you.

Writing zeroes is a good test. Knowing how long it should take is a tougher thing since if you are using the computer for something else that effects the timing, maybe a lot.

zetoune
10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I did nothing with the computer except making it format the drive.
No other process or application was opened.

I will make some tests.

Thank you all!