PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Seagate HD 1TB Failed. Not sure what to do.

mattbrush
10-09-2009, 09:05 PM
So I was working on cleaning up some of my photo database. I have all of my photos stored on a 3 drive striped Raid in my Burly Tower. All of a sudden I got the famous error message on the Mac "disk not ejected properly, blah blah blah". You get this anytime you don't eject any media or a hard drive. Well I actually didn't eject anything, it just popped up. I've troubleshooted the enclosure, various trays, etc. It all points to the drive. I then put the drive inside my Mac Pro to see if it would mount. Nothing! It shows up in Disk Utility though, but doesn't say that there's any data on it. It was a 1tB drive.

I think what failed it is that I was trying to copy too much at once by drag and drop method opposed to using Sync Pro X or something of the likes. I believe the index file structure has been corrupted.

How can I fix this or repair it? Disk Utility won't verify it or repair it. It says it fails everytime. Is the data still there? Probably.

How can I use Disk Warrior or Drive Genius to try and get the disk back up and running?

Or is it better to just wipe it clean and back up my data again to a the newly wiped drive?

Damien
10-10-2009, 04:14 AM
If you have a current backup, then wipe it clean and start over. After it's formatted you can use the Utilities you have to verify, do a surface scan, check SMART status etc.

Greentree_uk
10-10-2009, 04:25 AM
stiped raid array?? I hope you have a backup. if you don't then check the firmware on the drive. it is possible the firmware is old. if so then seagate will fix it and retain all data. so hopefully there is a chance on putting it back in the raid will come back.

unclemac
10-10-2009, 09:00 AM
......Or the drive simply failed. It happens.

We all should have backups of everything important, but especially of data on a stripe. The biggest weakness of a stripe (RAID 0) is that you spread your data across multiple drives, so if one fails, you lose all your data. So your odds of data loss go up. The more drives in a stripe, the greater the statistical odds of failure. Can you confirm it is a stripe?

So, to have any chance of data recovery, you need all three drives to be plugged in, mounted at the same time. Pulling one drive to test will not help, and will not allow access to some (any) of the data.

Yes, you can always try Disk Warrior.......can't hurt to try. You might also try DataRescue II (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php). I don't want to get your hopes up, but it is a good tool with a free demo. If it can't get your data, nothing you can run yourself likely will.

If you really need the data - it is worth lots of money to you - you can try sending all the drives to somebody like Drive Savers for recovery. Very expensive.

mattbrush
10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Forgive me for not specifying the drive. The drive that went bad was one of my backup drives, NOT the RAID array. I tried to repair the disk and all I get is "input/output error, disk repair failed". I think the disk is bad and it's sad because it's only a year old.

matt

ricks
10-10-2009, 01:01 PM
What firmware is on the drive? That may make a difference in how I would answer the question.

Rick

mattbrush
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Rick the firmware on the drive itself says MX15. It's actually the Diamond Max 7200.11. It was a retail drive that I bought, but the Maxtor version of the Seagate. It says mfg. Seagate on it. I recall buying this drive in a pinch one day and didn't have time to wait for delivery. Went to Frys to buy it. ARgh! Not sure if they're good or not. It's the first drive I've had of this brand. Everything else I have is seagate 7200.11 or .10 drives.

ricks
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
A couple links to check and see if that needs an update. I would guess that MX15 is same firmware as the Seagate models that had SD15. SD15 needed updating for most drives that had it.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&NewLang=en

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=206091&Hilite=

Rick

mattbrush
10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
looks like there is an update to the firmware. But would that make the drive mount again?

ricks
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Might just do that. One way to find out. Has to be installed in an Intel box. Burn the ISO file from Seagate to CD. Boot to the CD and apply the update to the drive.

Rick

mattbrush
10-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey Rick. Thanks for the info on the firmware. I'll see if that works. If not, do you have a tech support number for seagate to call?

On another note, I noticed just the other day that my 5bay burley started making a fast wurly sound. I called and talked to Brian on Thursday and he said to take out the drives and pull the case off. Spray it with some canned air. I did that and it cleaned out great.

Ever since. I've been having the wurly sound way worse. I'll dismount the drives, power it down, and turn it back on. It'll go away for a couple of hours and then start up again. It's quite obnoxious and in the 1.5 years that I've owned the unit, I've never heard this.

Any ideas?