PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks CS4 won't run

cowboyonamac
10-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Adobe hasn't been much help on this and what they have offered, doesn't wash.

I have two laptops, a Toshiba and my MacBook Pro 13.

For the most part I have them loaded identicallly.

Office (2007 & 2008)
Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection CS4
iTunes, Quick Time & Safari
Firefox, Opera and Netscape (for browser testing)
5185 fonts (that's not a typo... I have and use 5185 fonts on both machines)

Everything in CS4 works on the Toshiba (dual core 1.9gHz, 2Gb RAM)

Everything in CS4 works on the MacBook (dual core 2.26, 4Gb RAM), except Fireworks.

I get the splash screen, then an error that says Fireworks can't run (Internal error) and the report generates,

Adobe says I have too many fonts installed, but if it were that simple, why does it run on the PC with a slower processor and half the RAM of my MacBook?

Anyone else seen this or a possible solution?

unclemac
10-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, I am no fonts guru, but the two OSes handle fonts differently.

How about trying a font management tool like Fusion or Font ExplorerX to only load a smaller set? Faster to load and start apps, and less to scroll through. Pretty common for folks loading more than a say 1000 fonts.

cowboyonamac
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, I'm using Suitcase Fusion to manage my fonts now, but following their instructions I used FontDoctor to "organize my fonts" first.

I don't know what happened, but once I had everything rounded up, I had to reboot (from an update in another app) and it wouldn't load the login window anymore, So I was stuck without my OS.

I took about two hours and reloaded 10.5.7 first, next the "bundled software" (iLife), then the 10.6.0 upgrade DVD, and then ran the Apple Updates to get back to 10.6.2.

The good news is, and I don't know if anyone has done it yet, restoring 90% of your apps and preferences from a Time Machine backup is a piece of cake. I had literally everything but World Book, and CS4 copied back into place and running (with all of my personal settings) in less than five minutes.

Since I made a dmg of my CS4 DVDs, and have it on a USB hard drive, it only took ten minutes to reinstall the whole suite, and then I copied all my brushes, gradients, and custom shapes back into the presets folder. Everything is just as good as it was. Fireworks even runs now, so it looks like it was a font issue after all.

I decided to put a folder on my external drive (Time Machine disk) to hold all of my 5000 fonts. I opened Suitcase Fusion and created a vault using that folder, (it found 168 corrupted fonts and I deleted them all) and it looks like I will be a "managed font" kind of guy from now on. I'm still learning the ropes with Fusion, but it looks like it's going to make things a lot quicker and easier once I get it "down pat".

Thanks UncleMac for that suggestion, and I'm sure glad I have a Time Machine.