PDA

View Full Version : iLife / software question

briardguy
09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I want to load iLife 04 on a G3 500mhz iBook with a cd-rom drive. iLife is on a DVD. I tried using target mode but it will not allow me to load iLife. I get a warning telling me that iLife can only be installed on the start up disc.

Anyone know a way around this other than using an external DVD drive ( which i do not have)?

thanks

rwm
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
System requirements from Apple
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24912

Would a disk image made on another computer fix a CD?

briardguy
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I've loaded iLife on a dozen iBook 500's that have a DVD drive with no problem. However, no matter what speed iBook I have, iLife will not allow me to load via Target Mode. I experimented with my iBook 900 mhz and my wife's G4 and tried to load iLife via Target Mode and got the same warning that iLife must be loaded on the start up drive>

this makes no sence to me since the drive i'm attempting to load to is the start up drive for that machine, but it appears that iLife thinks it's a slave drive. iLife is the only software that does this.......

any ideas ????

Damien
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
iLife must be loaded on the startup drive of the machine the DVD is mounted on.

Have you tried loading them on the DVD mac's startup drive and dragging them over to the target disk

briardguy
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not too sure what you're asking (sorry). So, I load the install (.dmg) package onto the machine that has the DVD and just drag to the Target Drive? that sounds too easy ? and no, I never thought of that ! DOH !

Damien
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Nope

Install the iLife package onto the DVD Mac and then drag the apps to the target

Although if you did make a disk image of the DVD and drag it to the target that would probably work as well

Illegal probably... certainly goes against the EULA

briardguy
09-03-2009, 05:57 PM
thanks. i'll give it a shot !

unclemac
09-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm fairly sure that iLife has some other support files, and so dragging the apps over will not work. If I remember correctly....

The DMG should work fine. To confirm, you can simply make a .dmg of the entire iLife disk on any Mac with a working DVD player.....then take the .dmg as a portable installer to your Mac. Drop it on the desktop, double click and run.

kaye
09-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Alternatively you can purchase iLife 4 on CD (http://hardcoremac.stores.yahoo.net/ilife04oncd.html) but note that GarageBand and iDVD are not included. k

briardguy
09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi,
there are many things i still don't know about macs and certain terminology is my downfall......your quote; "make a .dmg of the entire iLife disk on any Mac with a working DVD player.....then take the .dmg as a portable installer to your Mac. Drop it on the desktop, double click and run".....how do i do this ????

i'm just not following you well- sorry.

unclemac
09-07-2009, 11:56 PM
No worries.

Use Disk Utility, following these (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=972) simple steps. Only need steps 1 through 4, then you will have your .dmg, which can be moved via the external HD of your choice.

Make sense? :)

briardguy
09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
thanks...... that makes sence.... i've seen this on DU but never had a reason to try it...... well, i tried but keep getting an error that there is an "in/ out error" and unable to make disk image........hmmmmmmmmmm

unclemac
09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
hmmm.....

i/o error? Tuff to say, have not seen that while trying to make create a .dmg. Usually just works. Wonder if it is the media, the drive, or something else?

How much room do you have on the drive you want to save too? If you are any where close to full, and have only a couple of GBs of free space, that might be the underlying issue.

You might try a third party tool like this (http://www.hanynet.com/creadmg/index.html), but I would guess that since most are front ends for included command line tools in OS 10, it may not get you around the i/o error.

Have another Mac handy you can try this again on?

Damien
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
thanks...... that makes sence.... i've seen this on DU but never had a reason to try it...... well, i tried but keep getting an error that there is an "in/ out error" and unable to make disk image........hmmmmmmmmmm

How much free space do you have on your boot drive of the Mac where you are trying to make this .dmg?

briardguy
09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
i tried on both my G4 power pc which has 150GB of free space and also tried on my G3 iBook which has 24GB of free space.....both have DVD drives and the machine goes thru the motions of making the .dmg but at the very end it gets the i/o error ! i checked to see if the iLide DVD was ok by re-loading it on my iBook and everything was fine ! I'm at a loss on this one......

unclemac
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm guessing that the issue is a bug in the version of Disk Utility on those machines......or something like it. Are both machines running the same OS? Which one?

briardguy
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
both are running OSX 10.4.11 with all updates current !

ironically, an issue that may be related has occured........iPhoto will no longer open on my iBook and when I try to reload iLife ( from the disc I'm trying to create a .dmg file of) the installer just quits mid-install !!!!

coincidence ?????:confused: