PDA

View Full Version : cleaning Burly drive bay

nickB
08-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I've got a 5 bay Burly drive and it's starting to get a bit noisy due, I think, to dust. What's the best procedure for cleaning? Should I dismount the drives, switch the unit off and open the box? Should I use shop vac to suck up dust or canned air to blow dirt out? The box runs 24/7 since I bought it end of last year.

Thanks!

rwm
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry looks like your post got caught in our spam filter for a few minutes. Don't see why.

What you posted sounds great... unmount, power off, open up then people use both methods air and/or a mini vacuum. Biggest things be smart, cautious and careful. Work around things take the time and gently get it. Don't wash it like a car by blasting the crap out of it. Get in the small the cracks/vents airflow ins/outs.

ricks
08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Compressed air is best. Be careful not to spin the fans up too high, you can burn them up by spinning them much faster than they were designed to run at.

Then enclosure cover comes off with a few screws in the back. Lift and pull the lid off to the rear. Take the drive trays out when cleaning. That way you get the internal fans from inside and out. Open the tray lids and blow off the drives.

Noisy fan can be sprayed with a little shot of silicon spray. Not WD40, which is an solvent, not a lubricant.

Good to go for another few months before lathering, rinsing and repeating... uh, wait, that's for shampoo.

Rick

nickB
08-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Took enclosure apart and gave a good clean, but still noisy. I thinks it's the lower fan on the back of the enclosure that needs a spray of silicon.
Just spray on the spindle of the fan?
Anything else to do or be concerned about?

Thanks!

ricks
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
To make sure of the fan making the noise, with the lid off and the enclosure powered, use a pencil erasure to momentarily stop each fan. That way you can be certain.

Need to spray the inner part of the fan spindle, where it can get in to the bearing, which is tough to see on the fan in the power supply. All the others are easy. A little silicon won't hurt anything in there, a lot can be bad, like anything else.

The power supply fan is the hardest to get to and the hardest to replace - luckily the least common one to fail.

Rick

nickB
09-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Rick,

Radio Shack didn't have silicon spray, but sold me some home branded "anti corrosive lubricant spray" which appears to be mineral seal oil and white mineral oil. Any thoughts if this would work or should I only use silicon spray? If so, any ideas where I'd find it? Computer store, home depot???

Thanks

kaye
09-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I purchased some cans yesterday from my local Ace Hardware, CRC was the brand as I recall. Get a can with a small diameter tube taped to the can. The tube fits into the spray nozzle so that you get a concentrated spray instead of spraying the whole fan. k

ricks
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I got mine from NAPA.

R