PDA

View Full Version : 7200.12 Slow to zero out data

Coolriver
08-18-2009, 10:35 PM
I just received my new Burly 5 Bay w/port multiplier and Express34 host card. I also purchased 5 new Barracuda 7200.12 500GB drives (not from MacGurus). I have used disc utility on my Macbook Pro to zero out data on all 5. 4 of them took about 2 hours each to complete yet 1 has taken well over 5 hours to zero out and while watching the "estimated time remaining" bar at the bottom of the screen, the real time was about triple what the estimate was at any given point. So, basically it would actually take 3 minutes for each estimated minute of countdown. I repeated the procedure a second time for that drive and the results were the same. I would like to know if the drive is defective or should I put it into service as is? Thank you for you time and attention.

ricks
08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Good indication of a drive with a problem. Make sure you try it in a different bay - since you know all the other bays are the same, any of them is perfect for a test - that will make sure it isn't a problem connection instead of the drive. Just to be certain. If the drive has same problem in a known good bay, then yeah, replace it.

Are the drives OEM? Often an issue. Never know with them.

Rick

Coolriver
08-18-2009, 11:08 PM
They are all retail drives. I'll sure try it in a different bay like you say though.
Thanks for the fast reply!

biggles
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Rick, care to comment on the return rate for the Barracuda 12's? Just idle curiosity here. As you know, I just RMA'd a 1TB 'cuda 12, not from Gurus of course, and it was an OEM unit. I got my replacement by the way, and all is hunky-dory once more.

Dave.

ricks
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
We haven't had any to speak of. None that stand out.

I had one customer, who long ago had written a review of the Burly 8 PM (http://www.squeezeanickel.com/SATAII/), send me a long series of emails where we tried to figure out his new 7200.12 drive's speed issues. His email was titled 'Drive Madness'.

He had bought OEM 7200.12s, they even had the same firmware as the currently shipping retail ones that work so well for us. His RAID performance was terrible! So I had him break the RAID and test each drive. He had drives that would run at 25 MB/sec, others at 46, and others at near good enough 95 MB/sec. A couple even ran at 120 like they are supposed to. Consistently. Move em around and repeat it and different drives would behave differently, but repeatable. He must have done a thousand speed tests.

In the end, he sent the OEM drives back and the retail version of the .12s were all within about 1/2 a MB/sec or so in his tests. All is now good.

OEM drives can even be manufactured in plants in different countries from the retail plants.

There is no accounting for what can happen with the OEM wildcard thrown into the mix. I cannot say enough bad things about trusting OEM drives because I hear bad stories so often. They are quite literally impossible to support. And half the time the user blames us since they installed them in our box.

A pox on all sellers of them.