PDA

View Full Version : HD size limit for Burly Port Multiplier Enclosures?

regan
07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is a HD size limit for the Burly Port Multiplier Enclosures?

The enclosures page says "Up to 12 TeraBytes in One Enclosure" which indicates that's based on 1.5TB drives in the 8 bay enclosure.

Wondering if Western Digital 2TB drives would work in it too? (making a total of 16TB).

regan

Nicolas
07-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Hello and welcome to MacGurus!

AFAIK there is not a kind of compatibility issue from the burly or the PM.
But, wait for Ricks comment to be 100% sure on that, please!
It depends on your OS you are using Windows, Linux, Mac. Largest volume supported. You have to refer the OSes FAQ.

Regards

Nicolas

ricks
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
The enclosure has nothing to do with the drive size, only the chipset on the SATA host card has control over that. All SATA buses are capable of taking largest drive sizes that will ever be used with them, so that is not a factor.

I would choose the Seagate 2TB over the WD. We did a bunch of testing and the Seagate's gave us typical warm fuzzy feelings of complete compatibility and stability along with performance - over 110 MB/sec!

Rick

Nicolas
07-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you Rick for your chime in!

I can confirm some major problems with the 1TB WD10EADS (+3xDOA not due to shipping) and 2TB WD20EADS on different setups (with Intel ICH9/10r or AMD onboard controllers) ok those are none server HD's anyways.

I would suggest Seagate as well.

Regards

Nicolas