PDA

View Full Version : Got an Xserve G5 HD limits question...

cisbell
07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know about Xserve G5 hard drive capacity limits? I've got an original, single processor G5 with three 250GB apple drive modules. Does anyone know if I'm limited to 750GB or can I upgrade the drives to higher capacity?

Not sure if I'm physically limited in doing so or if there are any hardware/software limitation with this model that cause problems here.

If I can upgrade, do I have a theoretical limit? I'm running the latest version of Leopard server and would love put in either three 1/2TB or 1TB drives if possible.

Does Apple do anything special with the ADMs that prevent this? I know the drives are "specially tuned" but don't know to what degree, etc.

Thanks.

ricks
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
All SATA buses are capable of any drive capacity. Apple ALWAYS lists drive max capacity as the maximum size drive that Apple sold at the time the computer was made.

With ATA6 indexing the theoretical drive capacity limit is something like 440,000 GBs.

Rick

unclemac
07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
There is always a slim chance that some of the data reported in Server Admin tools may not be available with third party drives. Review this for details (first few posts mainly):

http://macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24059&highlight=xserve+raid+seagate

A small risk, but worth it I would say. You might try one drive first, and do some testing to be sure. Transfer a bunch of data back and forth.......put some load on it before you go live.