PDA

View Full Version : WD Raptor 150 Dead?

yeungfeng
07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
I got to work today, went to log in and the beach ball of endless waiting greeted me. So I restarted, with the intention of running applejack. However OS9 started up. Changed the startup to my backup drive, a Seagate. Used DiskUtility, DriveGenius, check the profiles. Nada, Zip, 0. :confused:

So I unplugged everything and looked in the case while starting up. The Raptor has that clear top, cute. But in this case maybe handy. I saw the arm of the drive going back and forth, nonstop. Click, click, click. It did spin up, but never was on the desktop or recognized by any utility. I am guessing this baby has died.:( I really loved it's speed.

1. Unless anyone has a better idea about the drive, it will be time to replace it.

2. When I got the drive I had a Seritek 1S2 istalled, but the raptor didn't like it and wouldn't work. So I installed a Seritek 1V4 and all was well. But what current drives boot from this or either card? I'll bet Rick can give me an answer to this:)

Thanks for any input.

ricks
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I had another customer with a 4 port Seritek talked with Firmtek, they told him you could use the current Seagate drives on that card. Nearly identical performance to what the Raptors used to give us from a 7200 RPM drive. Pretty neat.

R

Nicolas
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Seagates 7200.12 are fine drives fast, silent and they stay cool.

Regards

Nicolas

yeungfeng
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I knew you would know!

I would also like to know, if you send back ones dead drive and it is under warranty, all the private information....... safe?

unclemac
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
No.

I really doubt anybody has time to steal data, but you never know. I don't worry about failed drives, as they would need to spend lots of time, like a Drive Savers recovery.........but if you have really sensitive data, don't send it in.

Plenty of enterprises never send drives in for warranty replacement because of this. Safer to eat them, than risk business data going who-knows-where.

Most consumers don't have any data that sensitive. Your call.

yeungfeng
07-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh I don't know, sensitive, what's that...?

SS#, bank account information, passwords to banks and web sites. Does that sound sensitive?

Wonder if the freezer technique could work so I could erase the sensitive stuff.

rwm
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Wonder if the freezer technique could work so I could erase the sensitive stuff.
If it's dead it can't hurt.

ricks
07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Running it over a strongish magnet should also scramble it a bit.

The freezer thing is for it not spinning. SOunds like yours has the heads thrashing around and the drive spins fine.

If the drive does not show up in DIsk Utility at all then it is probably circuitry/hardware failed.

R

rwm
07-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Ricks right your drive spins.

biggles
07-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Seagates 7200.12 are fine drives fast, silent and they stay cool.

Regards

Nicolas

Uh huh! +1 on that.

I just recently replaced my >4-years-old 74GB Raptor boot drive and 160GB media drive with a pair of 1TB Barracuda 12's.

I have them set up as per Rick's Move Users 10.5 (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/guides/MoveUsers_part1.php) instructions, partitioned 100/900, and I really don't notice any slowing down compared to the Raptor. Much quieter too.

And the room! Love it!

yeungfeng
07-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Ah, now where to find a strong magnet. I did read, later, that it was for stuck drives, duh, it makes sense.

Thumbs up to Macgurus, again. Even after my credit card snafoo I still got it today, sweet. Laurie is a saint, there were calls, many emails, until it was all cleared up. Oh yea, it was this users error, again.

Zeroed out, backups copied to the new drive and tomorrow I get to see just how sweet it is. I don't know if I will notice the quiet, or the coolness. The Giga dual 1.6 kinda heats the old DA up, doors open, and a small fan sits near by, fan is noisy, but the DA stays cool. Would the Raptor add that much heat?

FYI WD sent me a replacement drive, BUT, it's the latest model with the smaller platters. Had to give them my credit card info to speed it up or it would have taken a month. Not that I have it yet. Surely by next week some time. Glad I ordered the 7200.12

Next question Rick, will the new Raptor work with the 1V4?

I'm glad that the Mac is back. I've got to finish my remodel, so I can move my office, before the end of the month. A great time to have my main drive die. Of course it could have been much worse had I not backed everything up. A perfect example of why one should backup regularly and often.

marrand
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeungfeng:

Was that WD Raptor 150 the 10,000rpm model?
I had quite an experience with them. The 3 or 4 I bought from macgurus still work; two OEM type I bought on the cheap failed; both were replaced by vendors, and one failed again. I had to trash it after it acquired my personal info. Drilled a hole in it, then microwaved, and disposed of it. But then I realized I had an old 4GB drive waiting to be disposed of with personal data also. This time I was more sophisticated: I took it apart with torx screwdrivers, a very easy task, and removed the platters. A dash of sandpaper, then cut each into three pieces, and distribute among trash cans. As I understand it the data still can be read without spinning the little sections, but I figure no one would bother to try.

I heard it is difficult to get a strong enough magnet to erase all the data.

Also read on this thread that seagate 7200.12 and .11 models are almost as good and very silent and cool. I have one of each. They are both very silent, fast and cool; can't hear either while the Raptors make their own noises, and run 5 - 10 degrees higher than Seagates.

yeungfeng
07-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Oh I did find a magnet. One used in places like the cheerios factory to keep the wing nuts from getting in your box of cereal. They have a very strong pull, almost got my fingers caught in them several times. Glad I didn't because that would really hurt. So I passed it over the drive....who knows.

Yes, it was a WD Raptor 150 the 10,000rpm model. It ran 24/7 for two years, longer than I can run.

Finally got word from WD that it would arrive on Monday, I still wonder if the new Raptor work with the Seritek 1V4?

Of course it will just be a backup drive, I guess. Not to sure, maybe I should just sell it and buy another drive from Macgurus.

Hazkell
07-18-2009, 03:17 AM
I use a FU_KING SLEDGEHAMMER!
One hit on top, one on the ass end ....... its toast for eternity!

over an∂ out!

marrand
07-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Are you getting the earlier style 150GB 10K? Or the newer 300GB VeliciRaptor? If the later, I wonder what rick thinks of them.

I guess one never knows if someone will attempt to read your defunct HD. The idea is to feel secure after you trashed it. After the sledgehammer treatment, I can see the damage and can imagine feeling good (I am not going to a buy a sledgehammer just for that purpose!). But one cannot "see" the erasures done by magnets; so I would always go to sleep wondering.

Oh yes, when you get the replacement from WD, read the label. Will it say "recertified"? Happened to me and that was the one that died after a few months.

yeungfeng
07-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I guess it's a 150GB VeliciRaptor. Maybe only one platter. Which is why I was wondering if it will work with the Seritek 1V4.

ricks
07-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I am afraid I have no idea if the 2.5 inch Raptors will work with Seritek 4 port cards. I don't even have one of those cards here for testing any longer.

Sorry. We stopped carrying Seritek before the smaller Raptors came out.

Rick