PDA

View Full Version : Text grabbing

billybobski
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello.

Is there a clever way of converting a 'real' document to raw text, without going through OmniPage etc?

Possibly daft, but I had some notion that you could scan it in as an image, upload it to some web site, then go and copy and paste it as raw text.

Was this a bad dream, or is there a way? (If not, I'll just type it all again!)

Cheers

Allen.

ricks
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I went through trying to do that years ago. Called Optical Character Recognition, OCR for short. It is an application that looks at a picture and pulls the text off it with fancy algorithms.

Problem with it, it loses ALL formatting. I have not tried any of the high end stuff, can't afford to 'play' at those stratospheric levels. But the OCR apps I have seen all do a credible job of making the text almost match the stuff it is copying, while at the same time making an utter mess out of the page layout, paragraphing and sentence structures.

Better by far to leave it in text form from the beginning and never have to convert it.

R

rwm
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Same here. Never seemed to work but that was 15 years ago.

Hazkell
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I have also boughten OCR years ago ..... just to realize that I actually paid somebodys monthly car payment or what not! ..... and it WAS .... OmniPage Pro!

What a waste of capital!

I also tried scanning ...... but wasted a lot of HD space cause you have to save the document as a graphic.

Can you take it to Kinkos ....I bet they could copy the text and put it on a CD.
That might get rather expense if you're going to do this on a regular basis

GOOD LUCK!
h

billybobski
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for those thoughts. I think I'd better just get on and type it all out.

The 'system' I was remembering was about 20 years ago, when someone over here (England) found that if you FAXED a certain number, your fax message was then displayed on screen, and you could copy and paste it to your heart's content. It was very popular amongst some typesetting firms for a while, but then seemed to disappear!

Allen.

yeungfeng
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I have done this with some mixed success and not all that long ago. I have an HP printer/fax/scanner. It comes with software for scanning. Some times it works like a charm, some times not. Might be worth a try if you have a really long document.

You might be able to download the software from HP's site.