PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good brand for an external hard drive

rebel
07-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I need to buy a new external HD (1tb). I currently have a 500gb LaCie that scares me. I know I don't want a LaCie, but I don't know what brands are good. I have about $200-$250 to spend on this and I don't know what to do. I've been leaning toward something I don't have to assemble, I don't know much about getting drives to put in external casing...but I'm open to suggestions if someone can tell me how.

Nicolas
07-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Hello,

I prefer buying an external enclosure without a drive installed. If the drive should be running 24/7 you should have an enclosure with active cooling (http://macgurus.com/forums/../productpages/firewire/Burly1FirewireHS.php). You can buy an enclosure with the connections you really need. If the drive schould be bootable you'll need one with FireWire.

Why buying stand alone enclosure?
1. If this drive is running all day long you will have activ colling :)
2. I can install the drive I want to have (Seagate 7200.12 1TB or 1,5TB) (http://macgurus.com/forums/../productpages/sata/satadrives.php)
3. I can have a 2 Bay drive and I can install another drive if needed (http://macgurus.com/forums/../productpages/firewire/BurlyMultiDriveFWFixed.php)
4. It is not hard to install a drive.

If the drive is for backup only, running 2 hours a day or so a passive cooled enclosure is ok. I prefer Seagate. But remember a active cooled enclosure is far better for the installed drive. Seagate FreeAgent Desk for Mac 1TB USB/FW 5 year warranty is a good one.

Regards

Nicolas

Damien
07-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I have seen Seagate external drives with active cooling before.. at bestbuy. Not gonna be cheap tho

rebel
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
If I go the route of getting an enclosure and separate drives, what type of enclosure would I need to get? I want to use it for storage and I want to be able to hook it up to my macbook via either FireWire or USB. I get pretty lost when I try to figure out if I need SCSI, SATA, or ATA...Speed is nice but I don't think I need the absolute fastest because I'm only using it to archive finished projects, not running programs from it or anything. If I were to get an enclosure with room for 4 drives, could I just start out with one drive in it? I know I eventually want to have a backup drive for this one, but right now I just need something quick to store my current data before my LaCie dies.

ricks
07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
What you ask for is exactly what we build the Burly to do. You want Firewire+USB and internal power supplies and very good cooling. That is the definition of the Burly. It is the supreme life support for drives.

I disagree with the get the drives separate. There is no difference in a Burly other than we install and test all drives before shipping. You are welcome to get your own drives and install them, but there is no reason not to get the drives with the Burly.

Here's the page for the Multidrive Firewire/USB enclosures (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/burlyfwenclosure.php).

Rick

rebel
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
What you ask for is exactly what we build the Burly to do. You want Firewire+USB and internal power supplies and very good cooling. That is the definition of the Burly. It is the supreme life support for drives.

I disagree with the get the drives separate. There is no difference in a Burly other than we install and test all drives before shipping. You are welcome to get your own drives and install them, but there is no reason not to get the drives with the Burly.

Here's the page for the Multidrive Firewire/USB enclosures (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/burlyfwenclosure.php).

Rick

I like the whole not-having-to-install-anything-myself part of what you're saying, but what if I just want 1TB of space right now (because that's all I can afford right now) but want the ability to add 3 more TB gradually as I can afford it? If I got the burly from you guys with the drives already in it, would it be ready to just plug right in or is there something else i need to get/do?

Damien
07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Rick, do Burlys ship with the correct cable?

The Burly will come fully assembled and you may or may not need a cable. As long as you have the right cable you will need only to plug in the power and firewire cable and turn it on.

They aren't the quietest boxes in the world but they are the most durable and dependable. I have three that I have had for years. They just don't quit.

ricks
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I like the whole not-having-to-install-anything-myself part of what you're saying, but what if I just want 1TB of space right now (because that's all I can afford right now) but want the ability to add 3 more TB gradually as I can afford it? If I got the burly from you guys with the drives already in it, would it be ready to just plug right in or is there something else i need to get/do?

If you order up an empty 4 bay (to pick one) and on the same order grab up a pair of 1TB drives, we would install and test the 2 drives inside the 4 bay. This is done automatically as it is much better to install and test stuff before it ships.

ricks
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Rick, do Burlys ship with the correct cable?

The Burly will come fully assembled and you may or may not need a cable. As long as you have the right cable you will need only to plug in the power and firewire cable and turn it on.

They aren't the quietest boxes in the world but they are the most durable and dependable. I have three that I have had for years. They just don't quit.

Firewire Burlys all come with Firewire 800 and Firewire 400 cables as well as USB.

Damien is used to SCSI Burlys which have extra fans in the faceplates. The SATA Burlys are not very noisy.

Damien
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Damien is used to SCSI Burlys which have extra fans in the faceplates. The SATA Burlys are not very noisy.

OOH good point. Mine would be noisier wouldn't they.

Ken Rahaim
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I searched around and figured this would be as good a thread as any to post this...

Good googly moogly! I'm reading the reviews over at newegg.com for the Seagate 7200.12 and Hitachi 1TB drives and it appears from the buyer feedback that 15-25% of the HDD purchased are failing within a few months (if not on arrival!)! That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Anyone have a good explanation for the rather high failure rates these folks are seeing?

I've bought HDDs from both newegg.com and macgurus for both my personal & business use and have never seen such failure rates personally, but seeing this much negative feedback is spooking me.

ricks
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Ken,

The reason for all the failures of bare drives from NewEgg is twofold.

1) they sell a shit lot of OEM drives. These have unknown firmware.

2) they sell a lot of drives with older firmware. older Seagate firmware had problems, they could stop working unless an update is applied. NewEgg could care less if they sell drives with strange or old or problem firmware. Unsuspecting customers get screwed.

We have almost no failures with standard Seagate drives.

Another question entirely is "what is a good external drive to buy". That entails not only that it have a good hard drive in it but that the enclosure is worth having. Most external drive enclosures made today are junk. They fail in large part because they don't provide the two minimum requirements for a drive enclosure: 1) stable power and 2) stable cool temperature

El cheapo drives like Western Digital MyBook or Seagate Partner drives and all the rest of the garbage out there make no effort at all to be anything except cheap.

Rick