PDA

View Full Version : Help! RAID set vanished

Jimpoor
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Running a Noise Ninja action and my system froze up.

Now the RAID set all my images are on doesn't show up in finder.

I can see it in disk utility, but when I "verify" I get the following error.

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/114226288/original.jpg

Any help would be great.

I've got most things backed up except one days worth of images from the weekend. Of course that is 12K images :(

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot I'm on a MacPro

Greentree_uk
06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
sounds like you need diskwarrior

Jimpoor
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I ran out and got a copy. It says it will take 69 hours to copy over the information from the RAID set to a new location.

Then, I get the added pleasure of shopping for new HDs.

Anyone know of a good deal on WD Green 2TB drives?

ricks
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I was not all that impressed with the performance or the warm fuzzies that testing the WD 2TB drives gave me. They had good compatibility, but the Seagate 1.5s are a slam dunk killer solid device, not sure I can say that about the Green WDs.

Rick

Jimpoor
06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I was actually considering the Seagate 1.5TB drives, but I heard the exact opposite regarding their reliability.

That coupled with the fact that my RAID set was built from Seagate 1TB drives and it is now toast makes me leery.

Jimpoor
06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I did find the Seagates for $119 though which is a bit less of an impact on the wallet than the WDs at $229 if I have to go one at a time.

ricks
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Watch out for cheap drives. They are guaranteed to be OEM if they are more than 5% cheaper then MacGUrus sells them. Big roll of the dice whether they will have problems or not. If you don't mind a crap shoot with your data, then OEM drives from Amazon or NewEgg are just fine.

Rick

Jimpoor
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
These are boxed drives, not OEM.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0301994

Greentree_uk
06-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I agree with Ricks, I'd go for 1.5TB. reliability is fine aslong as your firmware is up to date. as for oem vs retail. there's no difference as far as i'm concerned. except you get a nice box to put in the bin afterwards

ricks
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
OEM and boxed are 2 different issues.

'Boxed' is as opposed to 'bulk' packaged. Means nothing, just how the drives are packaged to you.

'OEM' as opposed to 'Retail' can be a very serious issue. This term defines manufacturing of the drive to the distribution chain sourcing the drive. Retail drives are made from the start as consumer desktop drives and have standard retail firmware on them. OEM drives were manufactured from the very beginning for an OEM or an OEM market. The OEM market being a very large group of buyers who typically install their drives in servers or have Enterprise operations where large orders of drives are the norm.

Many OEM drives have specific server firmware on them (different than retail firmware!!). These drives are made to spec for the OEM, NOT made for spec for the consumer user. And that is the rub. Drive firmware is what allows a drive to work with your SATA chipset and firmware. Servers and Enterprise RAID arrays are designed to get along each with a different set of parameters. Their chipsets are configured and get thousands of hours of testing to determine how to get drive firmware and chipset/bus firmware ticking at their best. And they order up their own set of features in their own OEM drive shipments.

No desktop computer is tested to get along with those Enterprise feature sets. Strange things happen when you match custom feature sets with desktop computer buses.

Yes, there are successes with OEM drives. Many big box retailers have found that since the OEM distribution is so much cheaper than the retail distribution, they choose to buy their drives there. Those drives will usually have either the same firmware or similar, one off firmware. Like when the retail firmware revision shipping is CC1H, the OEM may be CC1J. What is the difference? I have no idea.

Where the real bad ones are is the custom feature sets. They are the real wildcards. And we see those all the time. A totally different firmware revision than we ever see in the retail market and totally unpredictable operation with a desktop host.

Drive issues can be tough enough without throwing wildcards in. Please be aware it is a huge issue though, not something that even relates to packaging. If you end up with off standard firmware anything can happen.