PDA

View Full Version : Beeping hot swap bay

DPattee
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
This morning I found one of my 4 hot swap bays beeping. The alarm icon was blinking, but neither the fan nor the temperature icons were blinking along with it. (they were both showing in their normal 'fan blade spins' 'thermometer just sits there' way that they always do). That unit was running at 90 while the other three were all around 82, so it was warmer but not anywhere near the 122 that the temperature trigger is set at.

I pulled the module so I could go to work.

Got home, put it back in, temp at 77 and it immediately started beeping - so definitely not a thermal problem.

Haven't gotten a SMART failure for that drive, I used Disk Utility to verify the entire raid and it came out clean.

Any ideas what could possibly be going on?

ricks
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Might try resetting it. To reset the LCD and alarm circuits, hold all three buttons down on that tray then power up the Burly. Release when the tray beeps at you. Reset.

See if that gets it.

If not, then swap the tray in another bay and see if the problem follows the tray or stays with the bay.

Rick

DPattee
06-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll give that a try to see if somethign is wrong with the tray, but something is definitely seems to have gone wrong with the bay. A half hour ago I had to go and disconnect power to it because its fan was going nuts - super fast and 'grinding' even though no tray was in it. I'll investigate tomorrow to see if there is anything obviously wrong with the fan.