PDA

View Full Version : Sata on ata bus

daddybob
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
This is my FIRST POST please be kind!!:p

I installed an internal SATA Maxtor 6Y250P0 as a second drive on the ATA bus.
It shows up as having 128 GB and should have 250GB.
Research shows that the ROM may not be up-to-date for this drive.
Is there an upgrade for this issue??

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.2.6f1

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.0
Boot Volume: Machintosh HD
Computer Name: BlueMacG4

M.Brane
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Well first thing is that's an ATA drive. Can't put a SATA drive on a ATA bus AFAIK.

Second the 128GB limitation is the older ATA bus on the G4 not the drive. You can only use the first 128GB of that drive on that bus. If you do it that way make sure you partition the drive so the additional space is off-limits to the OS.

Intech had a special driver at one time that enabled full acess to large drives on older busses, but I'm not sure if it's still available or up to date. Never used it myself. I always just used a PCI host card for larger drives.

rwm
06-08-2009, 02:12 PM
If you have an SATA drive it needs to be on a PCI host card made for SATA drives. I am surprised it shows up on the stock ATA bus.

Are you sure your using the stock or computer's ATA ribbon?
Positive your new drive is SATA?

daddybob
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I was hoping that I did not need a card and an update was out there somewhere.

Yea it is connected to the stock cable.
I am able to use Disk Utility and do what ever I want and it is ok with that.

It is not new by any means, it is an internal from Maxtor I got for a PC years ago.
It is called MaxBlast, and it came with a pci card for the PC and it will not work in the Mac, it is the short type.

Well that takes care of that!!

Thanks for all your help!!

unclemac
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah,

So the easiest way to use it all is to partition it. If you want one partition, then as Brane said you need a Mac PCI ATA card, which can be had for something like 30 bucks.

When the G4s were built, nobody dreamed they would need or have a hard drive over 100 GB. Sounds silly now, huh?

ricks
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
A couple things.

That drive part number is ATA. So it will work fine on your G4, all else being equal. A SATA drive would not plug in without a PCI card and different cabling.

Next, Intech does have a product that can let your computer see all of that drive. Called the Hi Capacity Driver (https://www.SpeedTools2.com/store/cart.php?m=add&productID=8&quantity=1), it runs about $25. It changes your bus from 28 bit indexing to 48 bit indexing letting is use any drive capacity.

Rick

Damien
06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Intech does have a product that can let your computer see all of that drive. Called the Hi Capacity Driver (https://www.SpeedTools2.com/store/cart.php?m=add&productID=8&quantity=1), it runs about $25. It changes your bus from 28 bit indexing to 48 bit indexing letting is use any drive capacity.

Rick

Well ain't that nifty, can I assume that is OS X only?

ricks
06-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't believe it cares what OS..... however it has been a long time since I had a conversation about it, so I could be wrong.

R

daddybob
06-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't believe it cares what OS..... however it has been a long time since I had a conversation about it, so I could be wrong.

R

That is correct, it is the indexing thing with 48 bits.

daddybob
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Well first thing is that's an ATA drive. Can't put a SATA drive on a ATA bus AFAIK.

Second the 128GB limitation is the older ATA bus on the G4 not the drive. You can only use the first 128GB of that drive on that bus. If you do it that way make sure you partition the drive so the additional space is off-limits to the OS.

Intech had a special driver at one time that enabled full acess to large drives on older busses, but I'm not sure if it's still available or up to date. Never used it myself. I always just used a PCI host card for larger drives.

Good call, I was reading one thing and thinking another,,,go figure!!:rolleyes:

ricks
06-16-2009, 01:00 PM
That is correct, it is the indexing thing with 48 bits.

I was not talking about the reason you cannot see over 128 GB, that is a given. Older buses are 28 bit indexing and they only have enough index for 128 GB of drive capacity.

The OS issue I brought up was for the ATA6 Firmware Updater from Intech. Whether the updater will run on OS9 is the question.

Rick