PDA

View Full Version : Burly Box Drive Size Limit?

bionaut
05-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Hello,

I have a 5 bay Burly box that is about 4 years old. The box is connected to a card (don't know the device specifics offhand) to a G4 Sawtooth running OS 10.4.x. Is there a limit to the drive size I can use in the Burly box? Can I use 1.0T drives, or even 1.5T without trouble?

Thank you, Chris

ricks
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
The box doesn't care at all. Only the host card or bridge board determines what drive size is supported.

If your Burly is SATA then know that all SATA host cards and bridge boards can and will work with any foreseeable drive size. They put enough index in the SATA spec for something like 440,000 GB of drive space. We won't be having a problem with that for a while.

Slap whatever drive you want in there. It will work fine.

Rick

bionaut
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply. My Burly is SATA, sorry I forgot to mention that. Do you know if OS X Tiger has any drive size limitation?

Thanks, Chris

Damien
05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I think it's 2 petabytes (2000 terabytes) I have a hazy memory of reading that somewhere.. you might want to get a more definite answer

ricks
05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I do not expect that any of us mortal humans have enough money to test where the actual limit is. For all practical purposes you can just keep hanging drives off until you run out of cash. That's how we test anyway (we run out of test lab funding pretty quickly that way - good thing Laurie is around to tell us 'no more')

Rick