PDA

View Full Version : HDD icons missing!

bigfrog
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Help! The hard drive icons have gone missing from the desktop of a Mac G5 where I work (OS X 10.4.9). The Mac is otherwise OK; I have repeired permissions - no joy.

The system is dual-boot, and all is well in 10.3.9, but when I re-boot to 10.4.9 - no icons.

Everything else seems OK.

Any ideas?!

BF

bigfrog
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
OK - found it.

Finder > Preferences > General etc...

Someone at work obviously decided to waste some of my day. I shall now go into a corner and shout "Doh!"

BF

ricks
04-23-2009, 01:27 PM
ha hehe.

Time to go get even. better yet, get ahead.

Damien
04-23-2009, 01:38 PM
OK - found it.

Finder > Preferences > General etc...

Someone at work obviously decided to waste some of my day. I shall now go into a corner and shout "Doh!"

BF

I always thought that was a bit hard to find... If you are in the finder and left click the desktop I think it should be a context menu item

unclemac
04-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Lots of good ways to get even.......

A simple one that will grab someone's attention: Go to to System Prefs/Universal Access and select White on Black (instead of Black on White) on the Seeing tab. Lots of other "damage" to be done in Universal Access. :D

Just remember what you did. :rolleyes:

bigfrog
04-24-2009, 05:01 AM
The 'getting even' thing can wait - I'll think of something, possibly not computer-related. I can't really mess up this machine because it has several other users (including me!). And before anyone asks - yes we're looking at introducing individual log-ins.

In the meantime, would actions like this be in a log file somewhere, or are they too trivial? If I can find out what time the checkbox was checked I can work out who did it.

Cheers, BF