PDA

View Full Version : Help: Trouble with my USB network adapter

terrasolo
04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi I posted this in the network section but after reading the site some more it seems to me that i should have posted it here. Sorry for the double post:

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out here with a small issue.

On my Mac Mini G4 i have hooked up a USB wireless G Network adapter. All works fine, I can get online just fine, but when I turn off and restart the computer the USB driver does not recognized that the USB adapter is there. I have to unplug it and then plug it back in and then all is well.

At first they store I bout this USB Adapter from told me that I needed to do all my updates, so I did, and it was perfect. it was found when I rebooted and everything. But then to fix a second issue with the monitor I was told to try the "hold down the command/option/P/R keys and let the computer do the start up sound. since I have done this (which did not fix my issue) the usb adapter has now not been found by the computer on start up again.

Does anyone know how I can tell my mac to look for this drive on start up?

as I said it is a mac mini G4 10.4.11

thanks for any help.

unclemac
04-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey,

Have the same setup, and "it just does that". Pretty well documented that the software is to blame. I have a workstation that I don't reboot much, but it is a pain most of the time.

From MacWireless FAQs/known problems with USB wireless:

Issue: 11n USB Stick is sometimes not recognized after restarting the computer.
Solution: Unplug the 11n USB Stick and plug it back in.

Issue: 11n USB Stick will not automatically reconnect after restart to networks with hidden SSID.
Solution: Manually re-configure the USB Stick through Wireless Utility software or make the SSID visible and consider instead using a stronger form of security, such as WPA2 or a MAC address filter.

Yes, those are for N sticks, but the G sticks were the same way, regardless of brand because the issue is with the software, not hardware.

I think there was a fairly recent update to the wireless software in question, but I haven't tested it to see if it is any better.

As for your PRAM reset, I would be a bit surprised if that would effect the stick.....but maybe? Not sure what you can do but reinstall the software again?

terrasolo
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
thanks for the tips. I figured there may be no hope but maybe doing a reinstall is something I should give a try. Thanks again