PDA

View Full Version : slow response from external drives and crashes

darrylbaird
03-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a G5, dual 2.3 Ghz, with 6 gig RAM
2 internal ATA drives - (Seagate & WesternDig)
3 external drives: 2 FW, 1 USB

The biggest drive is 1.5 Tb Maxtor FW coming off the FW800 panel port and the other from the FW400

USB hub off front panel connects external hard drive, scanner and a few peripherals from time to time... but not constantly

I have a consistent slow response form the system when using "recent files" searching in apps. Also, after clicking the icon of the big Maxtor I have to wait for several seconds before it shows me the contents. I'm also having more and more freezing/stalling which forces me to hard boot.

Is this a sleep problem, bus problem, or ??? problem.

I repair disk permissions and run Disk Warrior 4, but the problem persists.

any suggestions appreciated

-DB

unclemac
03-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Howdy,

Sounds like it used to be good, but it is getting worse (slower)?

There is only one FW bus for all the built-in ports, so accessing more than one FW drive at a time can cause some delay or perfomance throttling. For max bus performance, you might consider a FW PCI card.

Hard to say about drive vs. enclosure bus, could be either.....or maybe something else. How full is the drive? Most drive performance falls off as it fills, and larger files tend to get fragmented too, which can add to delays.

Bad blocks on drives can cause freezes, delays and crashes.

If you have some place you can backup the big drive to, you could clone its contents over to a backup, and reinitialize the drive, writing zeros to the entire drive. If it is a bad block and the drive can repair itself (retire bad blocks), it will. If the drive is on the way out, it might die during the process. Better to know and get it over with than die at the worst time when you need access.

Clone your data back and you have a freshly tested, defragged drive.

If that does not help, you can try pulling the drive and putting it in a different enclosure or on a different bus.