PDA

View Full Version : CS3 and raid

pullman
02-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi Gurus

What would render better CS3 performance:

1) having the image library on a raid0 (using hard drives 3 and 4) with the scratch on a separate drive (hard drive 2), or

2) having the primary scratch disk on a raid0 with the image library on a separate drive?

In theory, I could have a second raid0 array by striping a volume on my boot drive with a volume on hard drive 2. I have the /Users folder on the first volume on hard drive 2 so perhaps that's not a good idea, performance-wise?

Since I'm using 10.5.6, I guess ForceVMBuffering is enabled by default?
Actually, how do I know which plugins are enabled in CS3? Can't seem to find that anywhere.

/p

Boots
02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Gurus

What would render better CS3 performance:

1) having the image library on a raid0 (using hard drives 3 and 4) with the scratch on a separate drive (hard drive 2), or

2) having the primary scratch disk on a raid0 with the image library on a separate drive?

In theory, I could have a second raid0 array by striping a volume on my boot drive with a volume on hard drive 2. I have the /Users folder on the first volume on hard drive 2 so perhaps that's not a good idea, performance-wise?

Depends..but since you've got plenty of RAM, fast drives, and a fast machine, you're 95% there-performance wise. The main thing a dedicated RAID0 for your image files can do is speed up open and save times a bit...

In order to definitely figure out what's fastest for your system and workflow, you could use a speed test like PshopTest or RetouchArtists with different configs. My general advice though, is keep things as simple as possible for ease of backing up and maintenance...

Since I'm using 10.5.6, I guess ForceVMBuffering is enabled by default?
Actually, how do I know which plugins are enabled in CS3? Can't seem to find that anywhere.

Yes, buffering is enabled by default w/ Leopard, not so w/ Tiger. You can watch the RAM used by buffering in the System Memory tab of Activity Monitor.

Plugins initially installed by the PS installer are located at /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Plug-Ins/(various folders of plugins).

It's only necessary to have a plugin in the main "Plug-Ins" folder in order to be active; it can be anywhere in that folder or any of those sub-folders.

Plug-Ins in that folder are active unless their filename is preceded by a tilde "~". You can verify whether plugins are active by looking at the flyout list from the menubar: Photoshop>About Plug-In.

ricks
02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Hard to tell exactly what you want to do, however, one rule of thumb.

Never partition off a RAID or drive and then use one partition actively for something like the OS and the other partition actively for something like scratch.

The problem is that the slowest part on a computer is the heads on a hard drive. If you are actively operating off of two partition then you are constantly waiting on the slowest part of the computer to switch from inner scratch partition to outer OS partition. That kind of setup is slower than just leaving the scratch in with the OS.

If you create a scratch disk on a partition then the other partition MUST be an inactive partition, like for backup. Scratch disks, to be useful, must be dedicated to scratch. After all, scratch is extended memory space. Making that slow is counter productive.

Rick