PDA

View Full Version : Mouse not responding

Disc2
02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
My mouse randomly freezes. Application still running but apple usb mouse not responding. Sometimes it works all day. When freezes no red LED light under mouse. Any solutions? Thanks

rwm
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi there Disc2,

Pain in the rear. I've had the exact same problem. Works fine 2 days then 7 freezes the next day. Things slowly got worse. A bad wire at the mouse? The solution was a new mouse. I am off to find the thread where I/we discussed this to see if there were fixes or help. I'll post it here. The following thoughts might have helped or jumped started it until the next freeze...

swap mouses
swap mouse ports
restarts
use a powered USB port

rwm
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I reread this old thread (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13878) my how time flys and how much we learn. There are several good thoughts in there.

Disc2
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Randy,
Thanks for the helpful information. Also the link. Tried another keyboard and mouse and did not work. I connected straight to the back of the computer, now its working. I guess the usb connection from the back of the monitor went bad. Good thing I have an extra usb extension cable to reach the computer.
Anyway, is there a way to make the USB behind the monitor work again or its considered dead? Thanks - Gerry

Disc2
02-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry old thread. But, since I move the USB cable to the back of computer it worked fine until 2 days ago and its happening again. Read link sent by Randy and found "Run Open Firmware resets". How to do that? Thanks again.

rwm
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
Hit Return
set-defaults
Hit Return
reset-all

Hit Return and your computer will resume normal startup. You may have to reset your startup drive. It can take a while be patient.

First... Are you running a Giga? If so we need to check because an OF reset or a pram zap might require you to pull it and reinstall the original processor. Someone might remember ... I am off to look.

I kept having problems they became more frequent and finally a new mouse fixed it all.

rwm
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Helpful quotes

I'm not sure about PRAM, but I know if you do a NVRAM reset you'll have to go back into the Giga Updater, and re-enable OS9 booting.
I believe the OS9 patch is a PRAM setting. When PRAM gets reset it goes away and needs to be reinstalled. The Firmware does not need reinstalling, that is permanent on the motherboard. Only the patch needs reinstalling.
With the 7447-based CPUs there is a NVRAM patch that needs to be loaded to boot from 9, and needs to be re-loaded whenever you reset NVRAM.
So yes an OF Reset would reset your nvram. Only an issue with some Giga's. I think mostly the DA's with Giga.