PDA

View Full Version : Storage/backup options

Patr1ck
02-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi, I am trying to find the best solution for external storage and backup.
My wife is an amateur photographer and shoots in RAW and JPEG. She has a new Intel iMac. She has been using an external LaCie 500gb hard drive to store her photos. She has not been backing up her files on another drive.

Well, the LaCie is no longer recognizable on the desktop and the Hardware profile just lists it as an "unknown device". Currently it just lights up and makes a soft clicking noise. I think it is bricked, but we are going to try to recover the files.

So, lesson learned... Backup her files! She cried a lot :(

I want to come up with a more reliable storage solution and a back-up plan.
After a little research, I think that buying an external enclosure of some type (FW800) and putting in SATA hard drives might be the way to go.

I'm just not really sure how to set up a back-up.:confused:
Should I buy a multi drive enclosure and have one drive in the enclosure back up the other one?
Should I buy a second enclosure and drive, and back up the main enclosure/drive on the second one.
Should I buy one of those drive docking stations to back up the main enclosure/drive...

I'm just not sure how to configure this...
I think I will need a 1Terabyte drive at least for her pics...because she had almost filled the 500 Gb drive, and then another one of similar size for backup.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

ricks
02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Hay Patrick,

Couple thoughts.

1) Pull the drive out of the LaCie and see if it is an ATA or a SATA. Install it inside something else, like inside the computer if the one you have has multiple drive bays. That gets around the likely bridgeboard failure or cable failure in the LaCie box.

2) Start with the Building a Photo Database Guide (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/guides/PhotoStorage.php). The guide is a philosophy more than a hardware guide. You start with a plan that is based on the backup as the first priority, then pick and modify the hardware requirements to suit your needs and finances.

Doesn't matter if your backup is in one enclosure or two. What matters is that the backup happens automatically and that the hardware supplies stable power and cooling to the hard drives. Brick power supplies and no cooling is what makes LaCie drives unreliable junk (along with Seagate Freeagent, WD Mybook, Maxtor OneTouch and all the rest of the junk enclosures on the market) They don't meet the minimum requisite of design for a drive enclosure: Provide stable power and maintain a stable temperature.

We are happy to help you get set up so this doesn't happen again. ANd we are also happy to help you figure out if the data is recoverable on the current drive. Let us know the entire setup, what computer, what OS she is running. Which model LaCie. We'll help you do what you can to recover it and set up a safe storage system into the future.

Rick

Patr1ck
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your quick reply!
Also, thanks for the link to the "building a photo database". I didn't see it over there.:)

She is running Mac OS 10.5.6 and has a 500gb LaCie d2HD QUADRA 7200RPM 16MB U.

I can try to pull the hard drive from the LaCie and plug it into my PC, or I guess I could go buy an external enclosure and see if it works in that.

Since we have to deal with firewire, I guess we should go with a 4 bay RAID0 setup. Do we have to put 4 drives in it from the start, or can we start with 2 1TB drives and add a couple more in the future.

Patr1ck
02-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your quick reply!
Also, thanks for the link to the "building a photo database". I didn't see it over there.:)

She is running Mac OS 10.5.6 and has a 500gb LaCie d2HD QUADRA 7200RPM 16MB U.

I can try to pull the hard drive from the LaCie and plug it into my PC, or I guess I could go buy an external enclosure and see if it works in that.

Since we have to deal with firewire, I guess we should go with a 4 bay RAID0 setup. Do we have to put 4 drives in it from the start, or can we start with 2 1TB drives and add a couple more in the future.

I pulled the seagate drive out of the LaCie and put it in an external enclosure and Voila! The files are all there and intact. :D

Now I just have to get something more permanant and stable.

ricks
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Righteous result! That's the ticket, no more tears. Gonna get some hugs and kisses out of yer better half at this rate :D

If you need any advice on the right hardware and software, ask away. We are happy to assist.

Rick