PDA

View Full Version : Video Issues

Unicode2021
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I had recently got a G4 Tower with OS9 and it was locked up by ADMIN and i couldnt do anything with it so i had got a copy OS x 10.x, i did a clean install and now the video only recognizes 600x800 and thousands of colors...the image is SO Grainy i cant hardly make anything out, when i boot from the CD the Color and resolution is exelent, there is no problems until i get into the OS any ideas to a fix?

Keep in mind i am primarly a pc user but i want to learn the MAC environment as well so when you prompt me for an action you might have to "Bumb it up" just a bit so i can follow along until i learn the termanoligy.

Thanks

M.Brane
01-11-2009, 09:38 PM
System Preferences>Displays is where you choose your screen res, and color bit rate. After you set it it should stay unless there's some kind of driver issue.

Some more details about your G4 might be helpful. There were quite a few different models, and video card choices.

I have a minor issue on my G4 with apps that reset the screen res. When quitting I'll lose half the screen, and need to change the color bit rate to get it back. It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. Gotta love unsupported hardware setups. No new video drivers in this Mac's future.:rolleyes:

unclemac
01-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Could be your copy of OS 10 is for a specific machine........maybe? Gray disks or black? Which OS did you install.....10.3, 10.4, or something else.

We'll get you up and running. :)

Update: might be other things too, like a PRAM reset, or even an old dead battery, but let's sort out the OS first.

Unicode2021
01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
i'll be honest i dont know What CD it is, its a burned copy...when i go to System Preferences>Displays and look there i can just veagly make out what's on the screen, my system is configured as...

Machine molel: Power Mac 3,5
CPU Type: Power PCG4
BootRom Version: 4.3.3.f2

Graphics Display
Chip Set: ATY Radeon
BUS: PCI
Slot: Slot - 4
Vendor: ATI

is there a way to change drivers threw a "Safe Mode" of some sorts?
another tid bit of info the mouse, keyboard and moniter are NON OEM devices if that makes a diffrence at all i dunno. :confused:

eric
01-12-2009, 12:42 AM
In case we can't locate/verify the Mac version 3,5 or the firmware versions, take a look at this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082

It may help identify you/us identify the Mac model.

If you boot with the 'shift' key held down either in 9.x or 10.x, that will get you into a "Safe Mode". I think it may actually be called that in 10; in OS 9.x it turned the "extensions" off.

The card is showing up as a Radeon. Original Radeon???

Which specific version of OS X are you using? Go to Apple Menu, select "About this Mac". Quick and dirty way to fetch the OS version as well as the processor. Post the Processor info as well, that can help narrow down the Mac.

Unicode2021
01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I have 10.4.1, its a Digital Audio model, Processor: Power pc G4 (2.1), Processor(s) 1, 933mhz, L2 256kb, L3 2Mb, bus 133 Mhz...

Additionally My G4 will not boot into "Safe Mode" by holding 'SHIFT' @ start up tone, is it 'Shift' spessific? 'R-SHIFT', 'L-SHIFT'?

i was able to look up the info for the video in the OS and it states...

Display

Resolution: 640 x 480
Depth:16 Bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreame: Not Supported

eric
01-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Are you sure it's a DA? I mention that because in stock form, the highest CPU was a 733MHz, but I don't preclude the fact that the was CPU upgrade.

As for safe mode, it is the shift key. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

You have to hold it for awhile. That said, could be an issue with the 3d party keyboard...

Unicode2021
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I realy dont think my G4 has been modified due to who owned it before me, but i could be wrong...is it possable that the image i have is Modle specific, are All of the older Modle Video Drivers not installed into an image?

M.Brane
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
The only G4 that was 933mhz was the second gen QS. That model shipped with NVIDIA graphics cards. The DAs did too, but the 466, and 533 DAs had an ATI card as an option.

It's possible that the combination of your install disk of unknown origin, and an unusual hardware config could be causing your problem.

Is the front of your Mac dark blue or silver?

Unicode2021
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
The Entire system is silver, when the system boots from the CD and i pull system info it states its got an ATI Card, again i dont "think" there's been any alteration given the deviced history and where it came from, is there a way to find out what it was shipped with threw the Apple Web Site using the devices S/N?

M.Brane
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
So then this (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_933_qs.html) is the Mac you have?

If it has an ATI card then it is likely that someone robbed the original NVIDIA card. That's very likely if it was the optional GeForce4ti. Those are a highly sought-after card for earlier G4s like mine though I doubt my 4ti came from your G4.:D

Edit: damn I should have noticed earlier that your ATI card is in slot 4 which means it's a PCI Radeon. You have been robbed! Somebody obviously stuck that in there to make the G4 functional, and made off with the original AGP NVIDIA card.

We need to figure out exactly which Radeon card that is so we can get you the correct drivers.

unclemac
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Check here (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_933_qs.html), and see if this looks right.

You have to hold the shift key down right after at the boot tone, and keep holding it til you get to the progress bar. Don't think it will help, but worth a shot.

If you have broadband access, you can try running an OS combo update. fixes many ills of a broken/incomplete OS. Gotta run, more later.

Unicode2021
01-13-2009, 12:08 AM
EURIKA!!!! after the last thread about the card slots, (Thank you M.Brane) it prompted me to look into the system because something just wasn't adding up somewhere and i spy 2 Video cards installed on the system, the one on the AGP slot is the primary video card and 1 in the PCI Slot but the thing with that is that its hidden well undernieth a lip in the back of the machine and from a "profile view" you dont see it but from a lower angle there it is, BLACK VGA Plug and BLACK DVI, almost impossable to see, now the video is working well i can see clearly and YES I was wrong...the machine was infact modified (some) and still yet it shocks me knowing who and where it came from.

Thank you ALL for your help and you'll more than liekly see me around with my future MAC Questions.

unclemac
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Good deal.

You should still download and run the Combo updater (or Software Updater will find it for you) lots of bug fixes between 10.4.1 and the latest OS available to you: 10.4.11.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :rolleyes:

M.Brane
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Unless there is a problem with the AGP card I'd use it, and get the PCI video card out of there. Even a slower AGP card will do better in a G4 than PCI.