PDA

View Full Version : Installing Oxford 922 in 2-bay enclosure

houdinistudio
12-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I decided to upgrade my Burly 4-bay FW800 enclosure to a Port Multiplier SATA bridge. Since I had 2 Oxford 922 bridges left over I thought I would move them into 2 Burly 2-bay enclosure. After installing the bridge and bays the drives don't mount. I've set the upper bay to Master and the lower bay to Slave (do these need to correlate with the connector on the bridge?). When I disconnected from the 4-bay there were more cables running into the bridge but there aren't any extra connectors in the 2-bay other than those for the power for the drives. I'm sure I'm missing something on the install so any help you can offer or step-by-step walk through would be great.

Thanks

ricks
12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
The bridge must have power. That usually means a 4 pin molex to mini molex just like the port multipliers require.

Also, with Firewire bridges, when you use one bridge, and one data cable, the drive on the end data cable connector, at the opposite end from the bridge, must be set to master. The drive that is attached to the connector in the middle of the cable is set to slave.

Rick

ricks
12-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Just a quick question, where did you get 922 bridges? Not out of a Burly, I don't think we ever sold any.

Rick

houdinistudio
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
My bad. The bridge is the 924 chipset not the 922. I managed to figure out I had forgotten power so the OS is seeing the bridge now. But I'm not sure what I should set the Master/Slave settings on the bays to. The 2 drives which were a stiped as RAID 0 only show up as RAID slices in Disk Utility now. Both bays are showing up as Slave. I tried flipping the dip switch on one of the bays to Master but they still both showed up as Slaves.

lee

ricks
12-30-2008, 11:46 AM
924 is SATA. There are no Master Slave settings for SATA. Each drive is basically a master drive by default.

Try swapping the drives from one port to the other on the bridge board. Just swap the cable from drive to drive to accomplish that.

The drives were not built into the RAID by virtue of setting the jumpers on the bridge to RAID, were they? I don't recommend ever using firmware RAID of that type. It is not a very good way to create a RAID and not safe since the bridge itself creates the RAID the bridge can take it away. These types of RAID are epitomized by the junk LaCie pushes on the public where the enclosure contains 2 drives which always show up as a single volume to the computer - Firmware RAID. It is an unjustified risk.

Rick

houdinistudio
01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
The drives were striped in Disk Utility and were already in LCD trays from the 4-bay enclosure. I finally got them to work though. Flipping the dip switch on both bays to Master mode seemed to do the trick along with having power running to the bridge.

Thanks for all your help.