PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS4

kaye
11-19-2008, 06:25 PM
My G5, Adobe Photoshop CS4 upgrade has been installed, registered, and a couple of minor updates downloaded and installed on my Tiger 10.4.11 drive. CS4 plugs for Tiger:
Default, plus Bigger Tiles v11.0 and Twain for v11.0
The following two plugs I had to use v10.0 plugs, DisableScratchCompress.plugin and ForceVMBuffering.plugin
k

Boots
11-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Apparently, an oversight allowed some of the performance plugs to not get included with the "Goodies", and they just have not gotten around to posting them for download....

I tested the CS3 versions of those 2, and they work- but I've been using the newest versions from CS4 beta.

With PshopTest, CS4 w/ PowerPC & Tiger is substantially faster than CS3 in about the same ratio as CS3 was faster than CS2. Also- the GPU is really getting actively used now.
If you are not getting full use of your GPU, check out the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin". It made all the difference for my 7800GTX 512MB, stabilizing performance and allowing all preference options; I feel like I'm finally leveraging the full power and performance of that expensive card.

kaye
11-23-2008, 06:39 AM
That is very exciting info Boots. And I was trying to figure out how to get the GPU to be recognized, Adobe's online support, without success. That plug and the others should be very helpful. Got your email, thanks very much. k

kaye
11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
GPU Settings with AllowOldGPUS.plugin installed in CS4 Extensions folder:

Detected Video Card:

Graphics hardware acceleration is unavailable. You will need to upgrade your video driver and possibly your video card.

Help says need a video card with 512MB VRAM. My video card has 256MB VRAM.

Oh well, but the other plugins are very helpful. Thanks again Boots. k

Boots
11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Apparently some 256MB cards will work; the vram amount is secondary to the required Shader & OpenGL versions:

"A. See "List of tested graphics display cards in Photoshop CS4" (TechNote kb405711). Here are some things to keep in mind when you consider purchasing a new display card:

Display drivers need to be regularly updated to keep up with changes in technology, applications, and operating systems.

To maximize Photoshop's OpenGL features, consider a card with a fast single GPU. Photoshop will not work with more than one GPU.

512 MB of video RAM is ideal, but not necessary. If you frequently work with multiple applications open, then you might want to have more than 512 MB RAM on the card.

The display driver must support Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.0.

The memory listed for display cards that have 2 GPUs is memory allocated to both processors. Because Photoshop will use only one of the processors, it will only use half the listed memory.

Q. Will all new cards and drivers be supported by Photoshop and Bridge?
A. Display cards that support Shader Model 3, OpenGL 2.0, and have sufficient memory and processing power should work well with Photoshop and Bridge."

kaye
11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
According to OpenGL Extensions Viewer, my X800XT ME is running the latest display drivers for the video card.

The card does not fully support OpenGL 2.0. It supports 7 of 9 features. Unsupported are GL_ARB_draw_buffers and GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two.

So I guess that leaves me out. I also saw something else but cannot find it again that Photoshop Standard CS4 does not allow the GPU settings, only Photoshop Extended CS4.

I will check that TechNote though. Thanks, k

kaye
11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
My Graphics Display Card is not listed as supported in the TechNote kb405711. k

Nicolas
11-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Since Nvidia started CUDA there is a hype about GPU-rendering/calculating, every one thinks this is the future...

Well, on Dec. 10th ATI plans to introduce Stream which is a CUDA-like SDK.
http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/23383/1/

But wait, Folding@home is supporting GPU-rendering since a year or so.

Nothing new....
Remember a few years ago with the Q840av Apple started Photoshop DSP-Acceleration also Supermac with the Thunder-Series videocards which could be upgraded with a DSP sandwich-card.

AMD is on the right way with the "copro" solution. They are using a Opteron as Host-CPU and some Cell-CPUs as rendering array.
http://www.top500.org/system/9707

Regards

Nicolas

kaye
11-30-2008, 08:55 AM
I still have 2 Thunder IV GX●1600 NuBus cards each with 4 DSPs for Photoshop acceleration. Has 6MB VRAM as well as QuickDraw acceleration. Been a long time but I think it was good thru Photoshop 2. k

kaye
12-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Running the latest Tiger v10.4.11 on my G5 and having only Photoshop CS4, there were 4 updates I discovered running from the app and including an update to the Adobe Updater. Nothing major such as an update to Photoshop CS4 itself.

In turn I also launched Photoshop CS3, CS2, ImageReady CS2, and Illustrator CS3 to check for updates. There were none. k

kaye
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Has anyone tried Noise Ninja (http://www.picturecode.com/index.htm)? I purchased the Pro Bundle with plug-in license and the Pro Standalone license for $79.95 total cost. The plug-in version works just fine with Photoshop CS4 and I installed it on CS3 as well.

It has 6 profiles for my Canon PowerShot A570IS camera but no profiles for my Canon 8400F scanner, but manual profiles can be created and are explained how. Have yet to do that. Getting the camera profiles installed was not as easy as they claimed. They said that the plug-in would automatically look for the profiles folder. Not so, it found tons of stuff and was still loading when Photoshop CS4 quit, a first for me. Rebooted and this time pointed to the folder containing the 6 profiles. That worked and going to Photoshop CS3 the license and the camera profiles were already there. Same for the standalone.

i have been working in Photoshop CS4 with a 7" x 9" photo that I want to print to glossy paper. This was originally scanned from a 3" x 5" digital photo that my son's wife took 9 years ago and printed. It had lots of warts, i won't even list all. I finished cleaning it up but when going to enlarging it, that's when I discovered Noise Ninja after doing a Google search. k

kaye
02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Adobe Photoshop CS4 11.0.1 update - multiple languages
February 24, 2009
The Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 11.0.1 update addresses a number of issues discovered after Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended (11.0) software were released.The most significant fixes in the Photoshop CS4 11.0.1 update include the following:

• A number of issues that could cause slow performance have been addressed.
• Pen barrel rotation with Wacom tablets now works correctly.
• Photoshop now correctly recognizes 3D textures edited by a plug-in.
• The quality of the results of Auto-Blend Layers (Stack Images) has been improved.
• A problem that could result in a crash when pasting formatted text has been fixed.
• A crash that could result from a corrupt font no longer occurs.

The update is 33.1MB. I used the Adobe Updater from within Photoshop which causes the Updater window to require that you quit Photoshop before the Updater can continue. k