PDA

View Full Version : Am I screwed? Can't access a volume on external HD.

hapycampr2002
11-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I have an external Western Digital 250 GB bare drive hooked up to a Wiebetech "Combodock" (actually, I have two, but only one is giving me problems). I have had no problem in the past accessing the two volumes on the bare drive; one volume is a backup of files and the other volume is a Bootable HD. I can't access the backup volume. I tried to do repairs using Disk Utility, but can't. I have attached a screen capture of the hard drives as shown in Disk Utility. These are the messages I get from Disk Utility when I tried to repair:
"Disk Utility stopped repairing “Bootable HD 1” because the following error was encountered"
"Verify and Repair disk “Bootable HD 1”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
Volume check failed.
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
2 HFS volumes checked
1 volume did not need to be repaired
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error"

Waddya think? Am I screwed?
Thx in advance, oh great mac gurus.

hapycampr2002
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I just plugged in the bare drive to another G4 and it is accessible!! So now the question is, why is is accessible on one computer but not the other? All I did was unplug the firewire from the first G4 and plugged it into the second one.
Thx

cowboyonamac
11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Sounds like it's something in the bus on the one that won't read it. Could be that the drive is too big? and the bus won't recognize it, even as a partition?

That'd be my best guess.