PDA

View Full Version : G5 Crash / Boot Issues / Drive Stuck in Bay

maccruzin
10-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I think I have this G5 model, I purchased in 02/2004 if memory servers me right.

M9032LL/A
Dual 2.0GHz
160GB
ATI Radeon 9600
4GB DDR SDRAM

Two 500Gb Seagate SATA drives (not mirrored).

My issues are as follows:

Had a power surge 2 week ago, G5 is on a UPS, so it appeared to be protected. Did need to fcsk drives.

This week it started auto rebooting for no good reason. Could not make a backup over firewire, but I was able to use ChronosSync to get a network backup of my User data.

As part of this process I ran activity monitor and noticed no activity on the 2nd CPU, so this may be part of the problem.

Tried to backup my primary drive to secondary, the system hung.

I have two DVD drives, a double density LaCie off the firewire port, and the internal DVD drive. I fsck the User data drive (iTunes and Photo), and pulled just to be on the safe side (in drive bay B). I then tried to recover the secondary disk drive, but it will only boot into single user mode. Booted of DVD, and fsck'd drive, still only boots in single user. Tried to reinstall, process hangs as soon as it starts, the fans kick into high gear and I am forced to shutdown. I tried both DVD drives with Leopard and Leopard Server (NFR ADC Member), the Leopard client utilities work off the drive, so I can repair via Disk Util and view contents, it just appears that when I try to go reinstall or upgrade, the system will hang in no keyboard/mouse IO, and the fans will do a slow rev to high gear.

The remaining drive is stuck in drive bay A, has anyone seen this? Any clues on how to unjam it?

I can't try another drive in that bay, but I can try a fresh drive in bay B. Now that I write this, I wonder if the problem might be bay A, I will need to verify.

Anyone seen these type of issues and have any recommendations?

Apple Store will run a diag for $85, so I will go that route today and hopefully discover if it is a board or CPU issue, but it sounds like they will only replace the motherboard of CPU and that is not in the budget, rather purchase a new MacPro, but I would like to try and save this system if possible.

Thanks,

MacCruzIn

ricks
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Try an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys on startup. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
Hit Return
>set-defaults
Hit Return
>reset-all
Hit Return and your computer will restart.

This resets every PROM holding firmware on attached hardware on the motherboard. No downside at all. Worth seeing if something got florfed during the power event. Even a UPS is not proof from all spikes.

Rick

Damien
10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
I have found it very hard to get a drive out of a G5, they get stuck in there pretty tight.

One thing that isn't obvious is that you cannot remove the upper drive with a drive in the lower bay. It is designed that way

ricks
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I have often used a seal pick to pull a drive out.

R

unclemac
10-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes. Stuck. Yuck.

I used a really long allen wrench to get behind the drive and pull.

Or giant channel locks to grab the edge of the HD. :eek: I don't recommend that, as you cold trash a drive quick as a wink.

:weeskull::weeskull::weeskull:

Once the drive moves a millimeter, it should come out, it is just plastic on plastic stuck. a little wax on the plastic drive screws might prevent it next time.